Safe to use impact gun removing water pump bolts???

89 Saleen#455

Founding Member
Dec 29, 1999
New England
The gasket is leaking on my original water pump (42K miles), so it's time to swap it out. Can I use an impact wrench to remove the water pump bolts or do I run the risk of snapping a bolt/stud? Obviously I'll use a torque wrench and factory specs. when installing the new pump. I'm also planning to coat all bolts with a liberal dose of antiseize. Any other tips?

• Sponsors (?)

third vote for no. I would spray them down with PB before starting and hope they come out. It should not take much torque.

Good luck.

Again no. In fact if they even start to act like they don't want to come out get a propane torch and heat the block and timing chain cover near the bolt to be removed. Heat it long enough for the paint to burn off and any oil to cook off. You are actually drying out the corrosion between the steel bolt and aluminum timing cover. Then gently work it loose, then tight until it frees up. Takes a little time, but I've seen way too many 'how do I remove a broken water pump bolt' thread.

Jamie

That is some very SOUND advice from Jamie. With some bolts like that, I limit myself to a dinky 1/4" ratchet. If it requires more torque/leverage than it can provide, other measures need to be taken (excellent tip with the heating of the fastener).

Good luck.

When I changed my pump I traced the new one on a piece of card board and when I removed the bolts, studs I poked them in the cardboard where they came from so when putting the new one on they were ready to go, no way to confuse which one goes where. And NO to the Impact Gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no for impact, break them loose with a rachet and then use an air rachet if you want. That is what I do. But I dont think I have ever ued an impact wrench on anything for the motor. Mostly suspension parts and what not.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll refrain from the impact gun and break out the propone torch if necessary. Generally speaking, does the antiseize applied to the factory bolts hold up well on the original pump? Most of the horror stories I've read about snapping bolts seems to surround "replacement" pumps in which the bolts were overtighten beyond factory specs. Any of you guys had problems with removing the "factory bolts" when replacing the pump? Thanks again for all your input!