sand blasting

iggy

Oct 15, 2003
anyone else ever use the sand blaster that sears sells for around 80 bucks i just want to do frame and underside of car its all stripped
if i do it in the garage how much of a mess will it make maybe i can put a tarp over it so it wont spread all over. any comment are welcome

didnt you post this once already? I dont know what sand blaster is sold at sears, but I picked up 2 sand blasters off ebay for $25 shipped. DO NOT use it inside the garage! When you are sand blasting, sand WILL go everywhere! Even if you put a tarp down. You really should do it outside.

I do mine inside, I just build 4 walls around it with clear plastic. It keeps 90% of it inside. But it gets foggy quick Outside is definately preferred weather permiting.

allcarfan said:
I wear a paper mask, a hat on backwards and safety goggles that SEAL around your eyes. I also wear ear muffs. Its a pain getting it in your ears and hair.

I used to paint houses with just a paper mask. Then I got sick and almost died.

That silica in your system is dangerous.

You can learn more at http://www.silicosisfyi.com/

Gram

I am well aware of silicosis. I have had to take classes on it for my job since i inspect what other people blast and make sure they have the proper safety equipment. When i use my blast cabinet, i wear a respirator, when im outside, i use just a paper mask. Not much will penetrate it. I change it every 2 hours or so.

i don't know what kind of sandblaster sears sells for 80 dollars,but i'm betting it isn't a pressure pot blaster.i started off using a syphon feed blaster on the bottom of my car and eventually aquired a pressure blaster...it will save you a lot of time...