Secret Project for Kevin Lealry returning from Iraq

rusty428cj

10 Year Member
Sep 29, 2007
Port Richey Fl
Back in April I received a call from Bill Currie Ford saying they had a good customer who wanted his 1996 Cobra modified and painted. I received a call from retired Four Star General Doug Brown (who was in charge of Special Operations) that he wanted to rebuild his son-in-laws car since it was his 4th tour in Iraq. Kevin Lealry bought it new but he did not have the money to fix it and told his wife to sell it. So he was told it was sold to a good friend of his. General Brown ordered a lot of parts and we had the mechanical work finished before Brian and I started the bodywork in June. Last night we were invited to General Brown's house for the welcome home party and also today Aug 1 is Kevin's birthday. They gave him a gift to open and it was a car cover for a 96 Cobra and he said "I used to own one" and the General said "you still do it's out in the driveway" than he introduced Brian and myself and told him what we had done to his car. He was in a state of shock when he saw it. It was a wonderful night.

This is what we started with

01.jpg

29.jpg

After a lot of work it was finished Friday morning and picked up that afternoon.

71.jpg

87.jpg

95.jpg

104.jpg

General Doug Brown and Kevin Lealry

View attachment 212526

View attachment 212527

Kevin going for his first ride in his new 1996 Cobra

View attachment 212528

112.jpg

Brian and Kevin

View attachment 212530

Now General Brown wants an older Mustang, Corvette, or 66 Chevelle for us to restore for himself. When the new Shelby was introduce Bill Currie called the General and he said he did not have time to look at it. They drove the car to MacDill AFB and the General had them shut down the runway while he tested the new Shelby and also received a call from Carroll Shelby so of course he had to

• Sponsors (?)

That's great that you guys did that for Kevin. With all the bad stories that the media cover, it's good to know there are even better stories out there. I can't see the pictures using my pc at work. I will check them out when I get home today. He'll never forget this birthday. Thanks for doing this for him. Pearl02.

I love that the project was done for him, and he certainly deserves it after the service to our country.

However, it makes me sad that you didn't keep the original autumn orange. It is a unique color (only 1800 produced totally, between v6, GT and cobras!) and you turned the unique, head turning car into a common black cobra. :(