Roush Seeking 1997-98 S351 speedster ...

SaleenCobra #96

Jun 23, 2006
Hello

New to this site as I´m seeking info on Saleen 351´s. I currently have a 98 Saleen Cobra speedster #96, but looking to buy a 97-98 S351 convertible/speedster also.

I would like to purchase a red or blue 97-98 S351 SC corvertible or speedster. Over the past months I have only been able to track down a couple of the white 97 speedsters, and a few 94-95 speedsters. About half of these had been modified extensively which I am not interested in, and the others have not been in the condition I want.

My dream car is a Rio Red or a Blue 97-98 S351 convertible or speedster with the Saleen Recaro interior (preferably not the Recaros with the square headrest, but the more modern looking seats with Saleen embroidered also) The car should be stock or near stock, preferably black interior (leather or cloth) and in low mile and excellent condition.

What price level would you estimate for a car of this kind in the current market? I have seen S351 speedsters from the low 20´s but they are 94-95´s. 97`s I have seen from around 30K and up .... Let me hear your opinion.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Anders Nannerup
Copenhagen, Denmark

• Sponsors (?)

SaleenCobra #96 said:
Hello

New to this site as I´m seeking info on Saleen 351´s. I currently have a 98 Saleen Cobra speedster #96, but looking to buy a 97-98 S351 convertible/speedster also.

I would like to purchase a red or blue 97-98 S351 SC corvertible or speedster. Over the past months I have only been able to track down a couple of the white 97 speedsters, and a few 94-95 speedsters. About half of these had been modified extensively which I am not interested in, and the others have not been in the condition I want.

My dream car is a Rio Red or a Blue 97-98 S351 convertible or speedster with the Saleen Recaro interior (preferably not the Recaros with the square headrest, but the more modern looking seats with Saleen embroidered also) The car should be stock or near stock, preferably black interior (leather or cloth) and in low mile and excellent condition.

What price level would you estimate for a car of this kind in the current market? I have seen S351 speedsters from the low 20´s but they are 94-95´s. 97`s I have seen from around 30K and up .... Let me hear your opinion.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Anders Nannerup
Copenhagen, Denmark

......first. welcome to the site. You have come to the right place for Saleen information. :nice:

......second, what's so "bad" about a white S351???? :shrug: (view signature)

......third, I think I can narrow down your search very quickly.

A). It sounds like you only want the Trend Style Recaro Seats?? If that is the case, you are limited to either the 98 or 99/00 S351.

B). Next, it sounds like you prefer the first generation SN95 bodystyle (94-98). So know we come down to 1998.

C). According to http://www.mysaleenmustang.com/ otherwise known as BobV's homepage, you will find under the production index that there were only 12 S351 vert's in 98. I can guarentee at least 3 out of the 13 were that terrible ugly white speedster. So I guess you are down to 1 out of 9 or so.

D). I do know exactly were an ultra clean rio red 98 S351 speedster is located. It's not "for sale" however that doesn't stop people from selling if you offer the right price. If the owner of that car wants to chime in at some point, he will as he is a member of this site. The only info I can give is he is located in Flordia.

The value of the speedster will be in the eyes of the owner or what the buyer is willing to spend. I've seen basically the two same cars sell for nearly a 10k dollar difference.

To get you started, check out www.performanceautosport.com , www.ebay.com, www.craigslist.com, and check out the classified sections of all the mustang websites........good luck!!!

Thank you very much for your replies. Yes, you are correct atbout the 94-98 body style. I currently have a heavily modified 94 GT convertible, and and also 1998 Saleen Cobra Speedster #96 which I bought form it´s original owner about 8 months ago. That´s a close to perfect 6852 mile car.

I do like the white Saleens also, but the ones I have seen have been heavily modified. Saleen S351 #44 is for sale currently for $38K which I think is a very fair price, especially considering the approx 20K investment in engine and modifications over the past year or so. On the other hand, I think $38K is too much based on the extensive modifications as the modifications is pretty costly to reverse if one should want to do so.......

My own 94Gt has cost a small fortune to build, and actually have cost more than my Saleen Cobra speedster, but it will never be worth anything to anyone else but me.

Therefore, I do prefer one of the original, remaining approx 9 98 S351 speedsters :)

The rio red speedster, I do believe I already know about. Beautiful car, and it absolutely be the right one, if the owner and I can agree on a deal.

My Saleen - might be one of the only ones (94-98) in Europe, maybe the only one in Scandinavia. So far it has taken 6 months to get the official approvals to register the car :(

14388_Saleen_i_DK_25_maj_06_001.jpg

My 94 GT vert. - only the body has not been replaced :D

7669_Viborg_-_køreteknisk_-_AN.jpg

The black sheep of the Mustang family :D

13207_Hjemme_15_april_top_down_006.jpg

S351R"Animal" said:

.....I agree!! I love the earlier vette's.

Your are correct with 97 #44. Nice, insane speedster, however it's pretty clear you want as close to original as possible. The other white 97 speedster for sale #42 was on ebay last week and it looked very original. I made a joke to Marcus about buying both those cars and "cornering" the market on the white 97 S351 speedster's (five were made). Of course, my soon to be wife might, just might leave me for that one. She's very understanding and I even got her involved with the XP8, but doing that would put me on the street......

Not chiming

s351rspeedster said:
......first. welcome to the site. You have come to the right place for Saleen information. :nice:

......second, what's so "bad" about a white S351???? :shrug: (view signature)

......third, I think I can narrow down your search very quickly.

A). It sounds like you only want the Trend Style Recaro Seats?? If that is the case, you are limited to either the 98 or 99/00 S351.

B). Next, it sounds like you prefer the first generation SN95 bodystyle (94-98). So know we come down to 1998.

C). According to http://www.mysaleenmustang.com/ otherwise known as BobV's homepage, you will find under the production index that there were only 12 S351 vert's in 98. I can guarentee at least 3 out of the 13 were that terrible ugly white speedster. So I guess you are down to 1 out of 9 or so.

D). I do know exactly were an ultra clean rio red 98 S351 speedster is located. It's not "for sale" however that doesn't stop people from selling if you offer the right price. If the owner of that car wants to chime in at some point, he will as he is a member of this site. The only info I can give is he is located in Flordia.

The value of the speedster will be in the eyes of the owner or what the buyer is willing to spend. I've seen basically the two same cars sell for nearly a 10k dollar difference.

To get you started, check out www.performanceautosport.com , www.ebay.com, www.craigslist.com, and check out the classified sections of all the mustang websites........good luck!!!

Thank you though....

Dan

s351rspeedster said:
.....I agree!! I love the earlier vette's.

Of course, my soon to be wife might, just might leave me for that one. She's very understanding and I even got her involved with the XP8, but doing that would put me on the street......

I feel you on that one Robert. A few weeks ago, I mentioned to my girlfriend how nice it would be to find a Laser Red or Canary Yellow S351 Speedster to match either one of my coupes and she gave me a look that made me sorry I even mentioned it.

I remember your Laser Red '98, Anders, when it was originally posted on eBay last year as I had just purchased my Crystal White '98 about two months prior.

A very sweet ride, indeed.:drool: