Engine Seems To Be Running Hot To Me

cdurbin

5 Year Member
Jul 27, 2012
North Charleston, SC
Alright, I 've been trying to figure this cooling issue out for a couple of months now. The problem is the car water temp will rise while sitting in traffic. I haven't been running the air out of fear it will overheat. I have drained and filled the radiator twice. Added Waterwetter, changed all the hoses, changed thermostat (180deg) changed fan, changed fan clutch, removed UDP's and put stock pulleys back on. It also has the air deflector under the radiator support in the front. I've elevated the front and "burped" the system twice now. I also purchased a good Autometer gauge for more accurate readings.
What is the normal temp range for a 1991 5.0? Am I just being paranoid?

• Sponsors (?)

Alright, I 've been trying to figure this cooling issue out for a couple of months now. The problem is the car water temp will rise while sitting in traffic.

It's normal for the coolant temp. to rise when you're sitting in traffic 'cause the clutch fan can only pull the same amount of air through the radiator as what you'd get if you were driving at ~15mph. On a very hot day your coolant could reach 220*F but I wouldn't sweat it unless it goes much higher than that.

Reactions: 1 user
It's normal for the coolant temp. to rise when you're sitting in traffic 'cause the clutch fan can only pull the same amount of air through the radiator as what you'd get if you were driving at ~15mph. On a very hot day your coolant could reach 220*F but I wouldn't sweat it unless it goes much higher than that.

It's never boiled over into the overflow or anything like that. I just get paranoid when I see that temp needle start climbing.
I wanted to get some feedback from you guys to make sure I'm not stressing over nothing.

Thanks

It doesn't sound like it's too hot from what you've said. It you're afriad of it overheating with the A/C on the only way you're going to find out is to try it. If the temp gauge starts climbing more, just shut the A/C off.

It you're afriad of it overheating with the A/C on the only way you're going to find out is to try it. If the temp gauge starts climbing more, just shut the A/C off.

Yup, if that happens just shut the AC off and run the engine at a fast idle (1000-1200rpm). That'll keep the water pump circulating coolant while at the same time, the clutch fan can pull in more air to cool the engine down. There are two other tricks you can have up your sleeve. One is to open the hood to release the hot underhood air, which will allow the clutch fan to work more effectively. Another is to switch the heater on and turn the heat up to maximum. Not exactly what you want on a hot day and your better half will probably moan, but your engine will thank you for it and that's what counts.

I know what you guys mean. I've ran the A/C going down the interstate with no issuses. Obviously due to plenty of air flow.
It just seems to me that the car, if functioning properly, should be able to sit without running hot. This is my first Fox though so.... I'll just have to suck it up and try it to see what happens. Might be totally fine.

I didn't see where you said what radiator was in the car.
The stocker is really inadequate if you are a temp watcher (i am, so i know).
A nice big 3 row aluminum radiator should be able to keep your car around 180 most of the time.