Serious Lag

rochesterryan

Apr 28, 2010
Ok I have 06 mustang gt the only up grades I have done are a 62 mm granetelli throttle body cold air intak and pypes cat back exhaust. I bought a bully dog gt tuner today and when I choose any program exept stock when I am at a complete stop the cars throttle response is seriousley delayed like7-9 second delay almost like turbo lag but as soon as I change it back to stock all is well again. That said I did not spend 400+ dollars to leave it stock. Has anybody else had any problems like this? Please help!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Have you called BD about your problem? The tune could be wrong that is in you unit. Or another thought would be to return it since it is 'defective' and get a different tuner from either Diablo or SCT.

Most of us on here would reccommend a tuner that has custom tunes in it as they will be able to tune for your throttle body and anything else you put on there...

trouble code

Thank for the advice but my question is wouldnt it throw a lean code or show the temp getting hot the bully dog does monitor engine temp exhaust temp coolent temp ect and nothing is showing hotter than normal nor do I have any check codes on the dash or the programer. If I call bully dog will they be able to give me a program or should I get another programer?

First thing get rid of your throttle body. The stock throttle body flows good enough and aftermarket TB cause more problems than they are worth. They do make a good paper weight. Second get a hand held tuner and Intake from breensppeed or American Muscle. Not many people in the mustang community use bullydog. Most use SCT or Diablo with SCT being the most popular hand held tuner.

tb

I am not having any trouble with my throttle body I have considered brenspeed as I only live like a half hour away from them. But back to the throttle body it does not flow that much more air and it does not require flashing according to granitelli motor sport I had it installed at a pro shop and has not given me anytrouble at all but I am a new mustang owner and am curious as to why you are against after market tbs I could see maybe if I had bought a cheap one but I spent over 400 dollars on the part alone and it seems to be just as described ( plug and play ) but any and all advice is appreciated so please keep the input coming as my goal is to get a car that runs low 12s also let me justify the bully dog I bought it for the features with the impression it would be able to be programmed to match my cars upgrades is this not the way it works again I am very new to all this so please help

From what I have read, for the money aftermarket T/B do not produce that much gains. Also it has caused some people's cars to go into fail safe mode. That $400 could have went towards a SCT tuner and intake from American Muscle or Bamachips. I have not used any Granatelli products but a lot of people including other vendors will not give Granatelli their business.

ok

ok I get it the bully dog has to go. Now that said I have no idea what I am getting into obviously because I did buy a bully dog gt with the impression that all tunners were the same but I was also looking at the trinity by diablo any comments on that or should I just go to brenspeed or wait4me proformance Ok I seriously need help now so lets hear it pros and cons of all tuners you guys have tried

SCT: Pros: Most tuners use this type of tuner and tunes can be readily found for this type since it is so popular. The SCT is more specific to your car's computer. ie. They have certain serial codes of whatever one you get for a certain number of 3v computer codes. It is a good tuner for datalogging etc. and easy to use.
Cons: There is only one in my opinion anyways, and that is that it has a certain number of locks and unlocks. When you install a tune it locks the device to your car and your car only. When you restore the stock tune it unlocks it. Once that number is used up I believe you have to contact SCT and they add more? :shrug: Never got that far with mine and chances are neither would you.

Diablo: Pros: Pretty easy to use and also good datalogging capabilities. Almost the same as SCT. A couple parameters are different(don't know which)
Cons: Tuners for the Diablo are a little harder to find and makes it a tad more difficult if you have a problem etc.

In the end they really are technically the same. There are minor differences and such, but really all it boils down to is the tune that you are running.

So more on that. The 'canned' tunes in the device are ok for CAIs, but anything more than that, and even if you want to get the full potential of all of the mods you do put on your car, a custom tune is really where the power is at. Reputable tuners can either send you email tunes which you load into the device and then into your car. The email tunes are actually quite good and many times people have gone to get a dyno tune and when the tuner looks at the email tune they can't really get any more safe hp out of it. Maybe a couple hp. So for email tunes they are quite good and worth the 50-75$ that are charged. Good names are Bamachips, Brenspeed, Tillman, BBR, Brooksspeed, VMP etc.

Since you are close to Brenspeed I would highly reccommend them! They are a good tuner and when you buy from them they give a updated tune for free. So if you bought some LTs from them or cams they would update the tune you have for free. Other companies offer this as well. In the end it is up to you and what you want. You said low 12s so that means at a certain point you will need a dyno tune for sure! Also good datalogging capabilities. You could purchase the Trinity or the Livewire right now and have that for the future when you will need to keep track of parameters of your car, or you could just buy a handheld for now and purchase that later. Again up to you.

In my opinion and if I was in your place, I would purchase with the future in mind. A lot of people spend a lot of money on buying things twice. If you plan ahead then you won't or you will limit it a lot and save yourself time and money.

Good luck! Hopefully this helps a bit and there are more opinions than mine! :nice:

Took advice

The bully dog is for sale on ebay right now and I have an appt for 8am tomorrow morning to get custom dyno tune and an sct tuner from them I tried to get in to brenspeed but they are booked till august. Any and all advice will help me a lot so keep it coming ( Oh so i was on the phone with bully dog tech support and told them the problems I was having and they said that there programmer would not be able to get to me for like 2 weeks so thats why its on ebay and I am getting a new one)

Honestly I wouldn't waste my money on a dyno tune unless you have cams or are supercharged. A good email tune will be just as safe and often safer than a dyno tune. A dyno tune might give you 2-3 more hp/tq but is that worth the extra money. A better use of the money is a SCT/intake package for Breenspeed or American Muscle. This will set you back about $600-700 plus you get 3 tunes. I know American Muscle will update your tune for free even if you buy parts from other companies. Brenspeed will also update your tune, but you have to buy from them. Either way it's better than a dyno tune at this point.

Who's going to do the dyno tune? Do not rush it otherwise you're going to be in the same position you are in right now. Tuning modular Fords isn't easy. Tuning modular 3 valves isn't easy! I agree with Gman though, it's kind of a waste. A custom tuned Xcal3 from VMP Tuning is $399. Don't trust just any place to tune your car even if it's a dyno tune or not. A dyno doesn't make someone a good tuner.

Ok you guys are going to love this with some phone calls and some favors from friends I am getting in to see the kind folks at brenspeed!!! But we are not doing a dyno tune they are just going to custom tune my car for the cai the 62mm tb and the exhaust system for now. Now other than the mods listed what else can I do short of turbo, supercharger, or nos to help me get the mid to low 12s I am wanting?

Ok you guys are going to love this with some phone calls and some favors from friends I am getting in to see the kind folks at brenspeed!!! But we are not doing a dyno tune they are just going to custom tune my car for the cai the 62mm tb and the exhaust system for now. Now other than the mods listed what else can I do short of turbo, supercharger, or nos to help me get the mid to low 12s I am wanting?

A set of stick tires. A few good choices are M/T ET streets, M/T ET street radials, or nitto NT 05R. Gears will help. Do a search on gears and make your own judgement. If your car is a d/d and no plans on getting a turbo or supercharger then 4.10s would be ideal. The most important is practice.

+100 on practice! I would just hit the track now with what you have. Keep plugging away at passes until you are as good as you can get with what you have and then get better. Ask for advice, throw some loops into to each run(ie rpms different, tire pressure etc.) Then when you get really good with just a CAI and TB then get some more stuff. If I could start again that's where I would go, to the track!

But all of it is my opinion and you can do as you please. Tires would be your best choice right now and then put your car on a diet and gears...:nice: