Progress Thread Seriously? Another Boosted Coyote Swap Build? - Still Slowly Moving Forward

• Sponsors (?)

Dammit...I lost the bet.

Maybe.

What are your plans for this car again? Isn't this a street car?
What are you doing about that heavy assed thing they call air conditioning?

Ha, now you've got me curious as to what you were thinking......

It's a street capable car that I can go out and road race/time trial as time allows. It'll have full carpet and full interior. The only obtrusive thing on the street that I don't really want is the cage, but it's going to be necessary and I plan on making the door bars removable for the street. This is also why I'm going coyote, I can have a very street able motor with tons of power. Of course, each person's definition of street able is different, and my tends to be on the extreme side.

So it won't have AC. I don't even use A/C in my personal vehicles during the middle of summer. I know, I'm weird, but living up north helps a bit also.

It's AC. Everybody dumps AC in an attempt to save weight, and reduce the hose clutter.

Then,......sure as Sht, comes back on here and does a " what was I thinking" thread....btching about how the ball sweat that is staining the alcantara suede inserts on their 03 Cobra swap seats.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
It's AC. Everybody dumps AC in an attempt to save weight, and reduce the hose clutter.

Then,......sure as Sht, comes back on here and does a " what was I thinking" thread....btching about how the ball sweat that is staining the alcantara suede inserts on their 03 Cobra swap seats.
I agree, most people drop it cause of the weight and then regret it. It's not a weight decision for me as much as a packaging issue and truthfully, I don't use it in my vehicles. If I am able to keep the "spot" open for the compressor I will do so in case I change my mind in the future. The whole turbo coyote in a foxbody thing makes things tight for exhaust routing.

I agree, most people drop it cause of the weight and then regret it. It's not a weight decision for me as much as a packaging issue and truthfully, I don't use it in my vehicles. If I am able to keep the "spot" open for the compressor I will do so in case I change my mind in the future. The whole turbo coyote in a foxbody thing makes things tight for exhaust routing.
Have you considered rear mounting the turbo(s) with a oil reservoir and pump dedicated for them in the back? Will save a ton of space underhood.

Have you considered rear mounting the turbo(s) with a oil reservoir and pump dedicated for them in the back? Will save a ton of space underhood.
Cmon now Steve,....you're not paying attention.
Where in the hell is he gonna put a rear mount turbo and all of the necessary piping when he has to allow for an IRS, and that jail cell thing that he is mounting a gas tank in?

I

I had thought about it and looked into it fairly closely, but these were my main reasons for not going that route:

-I prefer a larger, single turbo system. Rear mount should be smaller twins due to the packaging limitations for a single turbo needed for 1000rwhp.
-Increased lag and spool time due to heat and exhaust pulse losses with the turbos as far back as they have to be
-Increased plumbing needs, plumbing also needs to be engineered properly to mitigate lag and pressure drop
-Would have to run a fairly involved oiling setup with an separate oil cooler since the oil is the cooler on the turbos I'm looking at. 30-60 minutes min. of track time dictates the turbo oil must be cooled one way or another

So all of that added up to increased weight, increased complexity, and more lag. If there were ways to address these issues, I would def. reconsider.

Cmon now Steve,....you're not paying attention.
Where in the hell is he gonna put a rear mount turbo and all of the necessary piping when he has to allow for an IRS, and that jail cell thing that he is mounting a gas tank in?

And all that too, ha. When I looked at the option, I conceded that I would have to rework the floor pan underneath the rear seat are to be able to mount anything back there.

Mike I am paying attention, he would have adequate space if he decided to place them behind the fuel cell. Alternatively he could raise the height of the floor in the original muffler location to allow the turbo(s) to tuck up under the car. Where there is a will there is a way.

Mike I am paying attention, he would have adequate space if he decided to place them behind the fuel cell. Alternatively he could raise the height of the floor in the original muffler location to allow the turbo(s) to tuck up under the car. Where there is a will there is a way.

Exactly. I think behind the fuel cell would be tight, but you could re-work the floor pan to mount them there. It would be better to have that weight toward the middle of the car anyways.

I like you're out-of-the box thinking, there are definitely different solutions/options to look at there. Not saying they would work for my situation, but you never know until you fully explore them.

I'd love to see someone do a remote turbo setup and go thru the math and R&D and size up the turbos correctly and see how it works.

(And by someone, I mean someone else who documents it for everyone like me to watch and learn)

:pop:

Haven't had time to get much done over the last few week, but I did get my IRS cradle back from the powdercoater. Really happy with the job they did and the price was awesome.

707782.jpg

Also finished up the welding and grinding on the fuel cell cage. I ground down all of the welds on top of the unit and on the inside of the cage where the fuel cell will sit. I want the fuel cell to sit nice and flat and not have any stress points against it. I ground down the welds on the top so the lid sits nice a flat when installed.

716981.jpg

Finished drilling out all the holes for the weld nuts that will allow me to bolt the IRS cradle to the frame using my front and rear hard mounts. The bigger holes are for the weld nuts that won't be a thru-bolt design. The smaller holes are for the thru-bolts, there is a bigger hole on the other side to accept the weld nut. I will be welding a section of 1" DOM tubing inside the frame rail from the weld nut to the other side of the frame to prevent crush. There is one-through bolt for each axis on the front and rear hard mounts. I figure that is overkill enough...

030428.jpg

035989.jpg

041591.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
It's been way too long since I've updated this thread. I haven't been able to get a lot done with my crazy work schedule this year and the money hemorrhaging house projects, but I'm still slowly moving forward with the build and hope to get back at it more consistently in the next month or so.

For those that didn't see my post in the "How your foxbody currently sits thread", I bought another fox that I'm hoping to get sorted out this winter/spring and be able to get to the drag strip next year. I've been missing having a running fox and have always wanted a more street/strip drag orientated car, so hopefully this car will fill my addiction while I keep this build moving forward. It's supposed to be a 10.5 second car as it sits and I have lots of plans for upgrades. Here's some pics of that car:

• Hell Yeah!
Back to the build.

I finished all the through body welded inserts to bolt the modified IRS cradle to the car. I had to massage a couple holes in the IRS cradle to get everything to fit nice, but it's all done.

Also finished all the stitch welding on the body. YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!

• Hell Yeah!
Welded all the holes and cleaned up the back half car where I had removed the upper torque box mounts. Also fixed all the cracks in the sheet metal from the abuse the upper torque arm mounts took from the prior owner.

Cut the front off the car off to start prepping for the tubular front end, and to make it easier to work on the strut tower reinforcements and engine bay smoothing.

Here is the 417 Motorsports chrome moly tubular front end being mocked up. I'm not going to weld this in yet until I get everything done in the engine bay.

• Surprised
So, the guy I bought the strut tower reinforcements ended up screwing me. I waited, and waited, and waited for him to deliver the modifier strut tower reinforcements that I had worked with him on, but he never delivered. I kept getting e-mails from him basically stating that he has been busy but he should be able to get to them this week. I'd wait a couple weeks and contact again and I would receive the same story over and over again. In the end, I can't recommend getting anything from Izzy's Custom Roll Cages (Izzy's metal shop). Once you screw me over once, I won't ever deal with you again. Can you tell I'm a little salty about this?

Anyways, I ended up making the plates myself with the modifications that I recommended.

Here they are getting welded on the car, smoothed, and then primered to keep the rust off.

That's all for now, hopefully some more progress will be made in the next couple months.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention I messed up on the fuel cell cage. I had commented back in Decemeber I was concerned with how deep I had to make the cage to fit the 20 gallon fuel cell. Well, that concern was legitimate. Before I started welding the fuel cage in I test fit the IRS cradle and discovered that the cage was less than a 1/4" too long for the IRS cradle to fit nicely. I've decided I am going to re-make the fuel cell cage for a 15 gallon cell instead of the 20 gallon to allow me to go a little shallower and a lot shorter to clear up some space. Was really hoping for a 20 gallon, but it's just going to cause too many issues. Anybody need an oversized fuel cell cage? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 716981.jpg
    716981.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: 1 user