Progress Thread Seriously? Another Boosted Coyote Swap Build? - Still Slowly Moving Forward

• Sponsors (?)

Forgot to mention I messed up on the fuel cell cage. I had commented back in Decemeber I was concerned with how deep I had to make the cage to fit the 20 gallon fuel cell. Well, that concern was legitimate. Before I started welding the fuel cage in I test fit the IRS cradle and discovered that the cage was less than a 1/4" too long for the IRS cradle to fit nicely. I've decided I am going to re-make the fuel cell cage for a 15 gallon cell instead of the 20 gallon to allow me to go a little shallower and a lot shorter to clear up some space. Was really hoping for a 20 gallon, but it's just going to cause too many issues. Anybody need an oversized fuel cell cage? :rolleyes:

Throw some casters and a handle on it ,a removable top and have a pretty nifty welding rig/table :)

Throw some casters and a handle on it ,a removable top and have a pretty nifty welding rig/table :)

Now that you brought that up and got my wheels turning, I'm wondering if I can modify this thing to be the frame for my power washing setup at the house. I acquired a 22HP Kohler V-twin and a CAT 5GPM ceramic plunger pump last year for next to nothing and have been wanting to put everything together so I have something at the house to wash my vehicles with. Hmmmmmm….

Now that you brought that up and got my wheels turning, I'm wondering if I can modify this thing to be the frame for my power washing setup at the house. I acquired a 22HP Kohler V-twin and a CAT 5GPM ceramic plunger pump last year for next to nothing and have been wanting to put everything together so I have something at the house to wash my vehicles with. Hmmmmmm….
There he goes again, another project........

You mean spare..spare time so Mustang comes 1st right

Of course! It'll be more like my spare, spare, spare, spare time at this point. Between house renovation projects, helping my buddies out with their home and vehicle problems, ect, ect, I've always got things in the pipeline. Oh, and of course this pesky work thing.

Of course! It'll be more like my spare, spare, spare, spare time at this point. Between house renovation projects, helping my buddies out with their home and vehicle problems, ect, ect, I've always got things in the pipeline. Oh, and of course this pesky work thing.
I'll tell you one place to save time,......

Quit building things like they have to contain a thermo-nuclear blast. Although outstanding, That fuel tank prison you built is a little over the top for the intended purpose.

I'll tell you one place to save time,......

Quit building things like they have to contain a thermo-nuclear blast. Although outstanding, That fuel tank prison you built is a little over the top for the intended purpose.

In hindsight, you are correct. When I designed it I was looking at NASA CCR fuel cell cage requirements in regard to having an integrated battery and fuel cell mount and took it over the top. After talking to some guys that run in AIX, they still recommend a cage instead of just strapping the tank to the bottom of the car but said it can be a simpler, lighter box without all the reinforcements that I had added. This thing turned out way stronger then I intended.

Been working on smoothing the engine bay. I want to get this done before I weld the tubular front end on the car so it's a little easier to get in and out. This work sucks but I'll be glad when I have a smooth engine bay without a billion random holes all over the place. I will be filling the big holes in the strut towers I just haven't got there yet.

One thing I will never claim to be is a body guy. I'm assuming that once I get all the holes filled in and smoothed as best as possible I can just use body filler to fix any minor imperfections before primer and paint? That won't be happening until I blast the entire car once all the fab work is complete, but figure I better check now before I have to go back and change something. @Davedacarpainter ?

202613.jpg

202609.jpg

201248.jpg

201255.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
-Finished all the engine bay smoothing and cutting of the firewall pinch weld
-Finished all the strut tower reinforcements
-Partially finished the tubular front end installation. I need to finish TIG welding the bottom cross bar to the "frame rails", but I'm still not 100% decided on how I'm going to reinforce the tubular front end to handle the sway bar loads. I've been talking to a couple road race guys that are suggesting to triangulate the strut town into the tubular front end, and then run support from that bar to the bottom "frame rail" and sway bar mount. I'm thinking this is the way I'm going to go, I just need to pick up some smaller diameter chrome moly tubing to do all this. I'm already planning on tying the cage into the strut tower for reinforcement, so this will just be additional bracing. I'm ready to do some TIG welding on this thing since these are the first areas of the car that I'm welding on virgin metal that will actually produce a nice TIG weld.

20190813_202613.jpg

20190813_202618.jpg

20190819_201245.jpg

20190819_201255.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you that hadn't seen my other post about my 93' drag car, I successfully blew the engine in it a couple weeks ago getting ready to go to the strip. It's just been sitting since I got it towed home but I need to get it pulled into the bay my 89' is in so I can dig into it and figure out what blew up. I'm thinking this will be a good time to put a cage in it since I will need one if I want to compete in any races next year.

That leaves me with the issue of getting my 89' out of this bay without any wheels or suspension on it. So, I grabbed what scrap material I had laying around, bought some additional 2x2 10 guage steel tubing, and picked up some 450lb casters from harbor freight and build this adjustable vehicle cart. I made this so its both adjustable by length, and so you can build other upright supports to fit other vehicles. It also breaks down flat so it's fairly easy to store. I honestly don't know why I didn't do this sooner, it is SOOOOOO much nicer being able to wheel the vehicle around to work on stuff. I only have about $250 of materials into this thing, plus a a couple hours each night for a week to get it all done.

20191027_131450.jpg

20191106_195528.jpg

20191106_205217.jpg

20191106_205232.jpg

20191106_205240.jpg

• Useful
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users