Seriously why does the 4.6 need so many cams???

One cam or S/DOHC

• One cam

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • S/DOHC

Votes: 26 89.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
jstreet0204 said:
The 4.6 with overhead cams is actually more efficient. you can't really compare the LS1 because it has more than 60 cubic inches on the 4.6, and a higher compression ratio. I'd be willing to bet that if you swapped out you 4.6 shortblock for a 5.4 with 10.25 compression you'd be making more than an LS1

Yea I can totally believe that. I would do the swap if the power was there. Its just to much money to get in the 10s with the 4.6 or 5.4. Will the car be able to drive daily too? My friends have daily 10 second cars, I want a daily 10 second car too. :mad:

I'm basicly looking for 10s with whatever motor i go with. I know i can easily do that with a 03 4v but I would have to spend to much money to get it in and work. I was looking it up before I see this swap. To much money. :nonono:

I just don't understand why its so much money for a 4.6 built short block than a 5.0 or even a LS1? I mean seriously its just pistons, crank,rods, etc...

• Sponsors (?)

GoBabyVroommm said:
Ok that question has been killing me. I don't understand why a cobra needs 4 cams when it was just doing fine with one cam. Look at the LS1, 1 cam and dynos over 300 hp. What the hell is Ford trying to do with the 4.6? Where are they trying to take it? I don't think it was SVTs idea, hell i can be wrong.

I always want cams when I got my 4.6 but they didn't have when it came out made me very mad. Now there are cams for the car but still to much money. Plus its hard to get it to sound like a E303 cam and pass emissions. O yea can you can't de-tune the car for emissions to pass. I asked around and they all told me sorry.

Would you guys want the 4.6 motors to be SOHC/DOHC or just have one cam in there?

If we had 5.7L's of SOHC or DOHC power with good port side on exhaust and intake for the engine to breath youd have a slightly more powerful engine than the ls1 with better fuel economy and better efficiency...you cannot compare a 4.6L sohc to a 5.7L ohv engine without taking those things into account.

Some might say well the camaro almost gets as good of gas mileage as the mustang...it has nothign to do with engine efficiency and everything to do with the higher gears in the 6 speed tranny. If you put a 5 speed in a camaro you would not like the loss in gas mileage.

kirkyg

GoBabyVroommm said:
Yea I can totally believe that. I would do the swap if the power was there. Its just to much money to get in the 10s with the 4.6 or 5.4. Will the car be able to drive daily too? My friends have daily 10 second cars, I want a daily 10 second car too. :mad:

I'm basicly looking for 10s with whatever motor i go with. I know i can easily do that with a 03 4v but I would have to spend to much money to get it in and work. I was looking it up before I see this swap. To much money. :nonono:

I just don't understand why its so much money for a 4.6 built short block than a 5.0 or even a LS1? I mean seriously its just pistons, crank,rods, etc...

Perhaps you should read some of the threads about a 5.4L Navigator swap. Go buy yourself a junk yard block and build the engine and drop it in. There will be supercharger options very soon and modular performance just came out with a spider intake for the swap also. Tons of hp to be had. even with a redline of only 6500 i think the 5.4L DOHC can be made to put out a reliable 400-420 hp. Thats good for low 11's with some traction.

kirkyg

OHC is more efficient than the OHV pushrod engines. Plain and simple. It's all about inertia - the less weight it has to move, the less energy is required to open the valve, and thus, there is more energy that can be transferred to the crankshaft - meaning more HP to the wheels.

99+ Mustang 4.6 liter 260hp and 302lbs trq 281 cubes
99+ Z28/LS1 5.7 liter 305hp and 320 lbs trq 350 cubes

The Camaro cost more, looks like ass, has 16" wheels, made of fiberglass, rides like ass, sounds like ass, and mechanicaly is a pos(I work at a chevy dealer so I know). :notnice:

The Mustang looks good, made of steel, rides nice(for a sports car), has 17" wheels, is cheeper, cheeper to mod, you can see over the dash, sonds good, and is very reliable(had three). :nice:

You cant really compare a Z to a GT though. The 6 cylender camaro was the same price as a GT. The Mach 1 is more comprable to the Z28 or TA.

So what's a better deal? :shrug: I don't know about you but I love my 4.6. :nice:

Okay if you are going to ask a stupid question like this then i guess i will be the 1st to suggest....why do we have cams period? Lol Lets just go with out them and have electronic valve timing! it wont cost that much lol seriously though Why is this even being asked?

I voted for cam in block. Stock cube LS1/LS6 motors are hitting over 490 rwhp these days... I'm sure there are DOHC 5.4's making those numbers but there's no doubt they weigh more and are harder to work on. That being said, the Ford mod motor is a nice piece, it's just that the GM mod motor is where Ford *should* be.

sl03gt said:
99+ Mustang 4.6 liter 260hp and 302lbs trq 281 cubes
99+ Z28/LS1 5.7 liter 305hp and 320 lbs trq 350 cubes

The Camaro cost more, looks like ass, has 16" wheels, made of fiberglass, rides like ass, sounds like ass, and mechanicaly is a pos(I work at a chevy dealer so I know). :notnice:

The Mustang looks good, made of steel, rides nice(for a sports car), has 17" wheels, is cheeper, cheeper to mod, you can see over the dash, sonds good, and is very reliable(had three). :nice:

You cant really compare a Z to a GT though. The 6 cylender camaro was the same price as a GT. The Mach 1 is more comprable to the Z28 or TA.

So what's a better deal? :shrug: I don't know about you but I love my 4.6. :nice:

you mean the ls1's are making 345hp.

chini42 said:
Can you please explain how you would run a V8 OHC with a single cam? a picture would help.

I know what you are trying to say.... but he did not say he would do it with a single cam. He said SOHC (single OVER HEAD cam) which is not the same thing.

4.6 SOHC engines do, infact, have 2 cams.... one for each head, even though they are called SINGLE over head cams.

Anyway, I still think the original poster is an idiot :p

Snarf said:
Its just a question of engine design. OHV's use multiple cams because ( as far as I know it) there isnt room on the cam shaft for all the lobes needed to operate multiple valve per cylinder heads.

Pushrods are a different beast entirely

Like apples and oranges. Well, etallic apples and oranges anyway :)

:scratch: :confused:

On a pushrod engine, 1 cam is working 16 valves, so I don't see why there would be a problem with room. :shrug:

An advantage with dual overhead cams is that since you have 4 valves per cylinder, you don't have top open each valve as much as you would on a 2V. I would assume that would be in favor of a higher-revving engine with less wear on the valvetrain. Just a guess though.

I saw this post for a few days and saw it was still floating around but I just now decided to check it out....man you guys can be harsh sometimes. If he didn't quite understand something why not just explain it instead of being asses about it. Not everyone is an expert like YOU are.

Status
Not open for further replies.