severe vibration after t5 swap

• Sponsors (?)

Ford has you measure the "output shaft geartrain endplay" as part of the disassembly process
That way you know which selective fit washer you need for the reassembly
Then when reassembles it should then be correct
Too tight they shift hard or not at all
Too loose and they vibrate and shift sloppy or not at all
I looked at that Tremec info again and I think you should hit Alldata for the Ford procedure if you attempt it
Fords cookbook disassembly procedure is quite a bit more detailed with step by step instructions
The assembly is another story

does input shaft really turn when car is just sitting, engine running, in gear with clutch pedal depressed. I didn't think input shaft would be engaged under those circumstances. Under those conditions, car still vibrates bad

does input shaft really turn when car is just sitting, engine running, in gear with clutch pedal depressed. I didn't think input shaft would be engaged under those circumstances. Under those conditions, car still vibrates bad

As long as there is no clutch drag, once you kick clutch in and the input shaft spins down, it should not be spinning.

Can you measure the pilot shaft tip diameter and the ID of the bearing on the engine? Should be 0.668” OD on the pilot shaft. I believe the 3-spd uses the same pilot shaft OD

So with trans removed, no vibration with clutch pressure plate bolted up?

Trans installed, clutch in, you get vibration?

Has pressure plate been removed to inspect the clutch disk at all?

I believe there is supposed to be some end play
That could be the problem
I'll look it up
The input splines, those are first gear in the trans. The only way to stop it from spinning is to put in the clutch
That countershaft needs a few thousandths of clearance too

In most manual transmissions, including the T5, the input shaft does not turn when the transmission is in neutral and the vehicle is stationary. When the transmission is in gear and the vehicle is stationary, the input shaft does not turn either, unless the clutch is engaged.

Here are
89 mustang manual.jpg
89 must 2.jpg
89 must 3.jpg
89 must 4.jpg
89 must 5.jpg
some pages out of the 89 Mustang service manual

since nothing in the tranny turns , how could it be a tranny problem? Tranny out of car, no vibration. As soon as we put tranny in car, vibratioin starts under all circumstances. Off center? tranny mount? motor mount? I have 3 speed and t5 side by side on work bench, end of input shaft on both are same diameter . pilot bushing is same one that was used for 3 speed. 3 speed had no vibration. i measured length of both shafts . T5 is longer of course, but adapter plate makes up the difference exactly. Clutch disc was inspected during first install, looked good and is same one that was used for 3 speed. also, same pressure plate. Only thing changed was new throw out bearing

my options are coming down to:
1. put t5 back in and live with severe vibration until something blows up, I don't take it out very often and then only about 10 miles round trip to local shows
2. get rebuilt t5(very costly) and may still have vibration problem

You have not said what bell housing you used. Does the block have the alignment dowels in it? You need both of them in the block so the stock T5 bell housing installs correctly. I want to say they are just 1/2" x 1" mild steel rod and chamfered on the ends but I am not 100% sure on this more like 99% sure.

Have you indexed the bell housing? I haven't run across a stock T5 bell housing that needed indexing but you never know. Couple of videos explaining it here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riay1R38wQo&t=10s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu9bg-fJdnc

Okay, this kind of information is what you need to lead with when starting a thread for help. I so want to get on my soap box about the shear lack of information in posts when people are asking for help but that will not help you at this point.

So I am going to guess that you are using the same flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate that you were running with the 3-speed? I want to say the 3-speed has a 10-spline input shaft like the T5 and old 4-speed top loaders. Again, if my guess on the flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate are correct then this is why with the transmission removed you have no vibration because none of it was replaced so the imbalance on the flywheel is correct for the motor. This also allows you to run the mechanical clutch linkage being you are using the same bell housing and clutch fork.

If all of the above is correct and you are using an adapter plate like the one Modern Driveline sells then you absolutely have to index the bellhousing. This is a good thread on how to do this:

In the first post there is some good detail on how to index the bell housing and adapter plate.

Reactions: 1 user