Shifting 4th To 5th Problems

GIDDEEUP

May 3, 2013
Decided to replace factory shifter (was shifting perfectly fine before I started) Installed a tri-ax shifter and replaced trans fluid with Mobil 1 ATF synthetic (Mercon rated). Now the car shifts beautifully (noticeably better) 1st to 4th but grinds somewhat going into 5th gear only. Any ideas or possible remedy?

• Sponsors (?)

When you put in a short throw shifter it adds stress to the synchro as it gives it less time to speed up the gear before it engages. So if your synchro was already worn It will start grinding. I would suggest Double clutching your fifth gear shift. Gonna have to shift quick while double clutching. If it stops grinding, than bad synchro.

I don't have any technical proof, but have always felt that synthetic ATF was "too" slick for these transmissions and a lot of grinding issues occured soon after changing to synthetic ATF. I tend to run conventional ATF in my T-5's.

The synchro blocker rings are made of a specific type of material designed to grab and slow the gear to match the speeds before meshing. I've seemed to feel that the syn ATF is too slick and doesn't allow the material to grab correctly.

I know in the 2001-2004 Mustangs there is a grinding issue that Tremec remedied by replacing the syn ATF with conventional as a bandiaid until a revised TSB gearset was introduced. That was enough reason for me to start recommending conventional ATF in T-5's vs syn.