Shock Tower reinfocement necessary - 400 HP+

palerider94

Feb 21, 2006
Recently pulled engine in car to clean engine bay and fix cowl. Don't plan on putting original engine back in but I'm looking at a couple of different crate set ups 400+ HP/Torque. Already beefed rear end and plan on putting disks up front. Have monte car and export brace on car. Also plan on putting in subframe connectors. I'm thinking I should put shock tower reinforcement while I'm at. Don't plan on racing basically a weekend driver with a little bit of oomph. - interested in getting opinions and some suggestions on manufacturers. Except for hole PO punched in to get to grease fitting - towers are in good shape. thanks

Car is 1970 Fastback. Currently 302 - planning on 331/347 with new c4.

• Sponsors (?)

I've heard that reinforcing the stock towers seams with some weld is a good way to prevent them from cracking over time. Also, the Boss tower reinforcement is available but I've heard that it takes room away from the engine bay.

I've heard that reinforcing the stock towers seams with some weld is a good way to prevent them from cracking over time. Also, the Boss tower reinforcement is available but I've heard that it takes room away from the engine bay.

I have the Boss 302 reinforcements in my car and any space they might take away from the engine bay is imperceptible.

Before the reinforcements

enginebayprimed2.jpg

after the reinforcements with the primer

boss302shocktowerreinforce.jpg

and the reinforcements with the engine bay finished

enginecompartmentpassside.jpg

Attachments

• enginebayprimed2.jpg
    enginebayprimed2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 782
  • boss302shocktowerreinforce.jpg
    boss302shocktowerreinforce.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 360
  • enginecompartmentpassside.jpg
    enginecompartmentpassside.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,337
Sounds good to me - got both already (export/monte carlo) just a little gun shy snce I have a 1970 Mach 1 also that has crack in shock towers. Although rust out at the bottom too.

if you have any doubts, promotor sports makes a kit to reinforce the shock towers. it is reasonably priced, but does need some fitting before being welded in place. you will end up with what jerry has after his towers were done. my feeling is that if the towers you have now are solid, and the upper arm bushings are free to move, then you just need the export/monte carlo package, but if you have doubts, or the towers are, or were, cracked, then get the kit. a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Rbohm - thanks for the advice. I really don't plan on beating car so I just may weld up seems for a little more strength. I probably will go promotor sport route on my other car - has a lot of cracks that I tried to weld with motor in place.

Jerry did you get the kit from promotor sports?. Also looked like you shock towers were pretty good. What was your reason for putting kit in?

Jerry did you get the kit from promotor sports?. Also looked like you shock towers were pretty good. What was your reason for putting kit in?

My kit came from NPD. My towers looked like that only after my car underwent a complete restoration. Prior to that, the towers were cracked. The body shop seam-welded the cracks and installed the reinforcement kit as a preventative measure for when my NA 450+ hp 351W gets dropped in.

To give you an idea of how bad a shape my car was in before I started to sign over my paychecks to CustoMike, here is a look at the floor before it was cut out and a new one piece floor installed. You may extrapolate from this one picture to the state of my shock towers prior to the repair.

View attachment 339389

I agree with the others that unless you have a lot of hard launches planned that you don't need them. Another option you might consider if you still want them is to get a pair of braces off of a 69/70 Cougar. As far as I know all of them came with the braces. I think the 68 1/2 CJ Mustangs and all big block 69/70 Mustangs came with them too.

Thanks Jerry - that helps. Looks like they are doing some nice work on your car.

Since I don't have any cracks and don't plan on too many hard launches :D - I think I'll hold off installing them. I'll just weld the seams and patch hole someone put into to get to the grease fitting. Appreciate everyones advice.