Should I Buy This?

Reddevil91

15 Year Member
Mar 3, 2010
IMG_2358.PNG
IMG_2359.PNG
IMG_2360.PNG
Looking at this intake to put on my car, was going to buy this and get a lower off an explorer or mountaineer with a 5.0. I just don't know if this is a good pick up or is this junk. I've seen it labeled as mercury marine what is that?

• Sponsors (?)

That is a marine version of the Cobra/GT40 and best I can remember there are problems getting the EGR spacer and throttle body to bolt up to it correctly.

Reactions: 1 user
This has popped up before. It is a Marine GT40 boat engine intake that is being advertised as able to be used on a vehicle.

They will not work on a car. EGR provision in a different spot, and more importantly, no mounting flange for the throttle cable linkages. It's also shorter than a standard cobra intake which leads to alignment issues with factory style intake tubing and/or supercharget kits.

SAM_4874.JPG

This has popped up before. It is a Marine GT40 boat engine intake that is being advertised as able to be used on a vehicle.

They will not work on a car. EGR provision in a different spot, and more importantly, no mounting flange for the throttle cable linkages. It's also shorter than a standard cobra intake which leads to alignment issues with factory style intake tubing and/or supercharget kits.

SAM_4874.JPG
You had a really good picture of one of each side by side before, do you still have that Mike?

You had a really good picture of one of each side by side before, do you still have that Mike?
Ahhhhh thanks man, glad I didn't pull the trigger. Thought the area for spacer and tb looked short. Guess I'll just have to wait or maybe think about a trick flow since all the big box shops have done away with cobra intakes.

Sorry my answer was short. I was traveling and didn't have time to get into it like these guys did. I just gave a short answer of no in hopes that you wouldn't pull the trigger on that until you heard the advise given above.

Chris