Should I Change to longtubes?

Rynb15

Nov 21, 2005
My 5.0 came with shorty headers when i bought it. They seem to be in ok condition but the just dont look like to good of a design. The guy who sold it to me said they were flowmaster brand headers. I was just wondering if it would be worth it to change it over to longtubes. But if it would only be a few more hp i dont think it would be worth it. Should i just throw a off road h pipe on the shortys and call it a day?

• Sponsors (?)

Those due appear to be stockers. Now my Mac's had "pinches" and so do my BBK longtubes. They have "pinches".

Longtubes create less ground clearance, possible starter heatsoak problems, harder to work around (clutch installs for one). More expensive. The inability to use your stock h pipe. Less emissions legally possible, which is crucial to states that give smog checks. Steering clearance problems. Harder to install for sure, usually requiring the engine to be lifted or tilted. Clutch cables are more likely to be weakened by exhaust heat. 02 extensions are possibly needed. I have heard of more interior heat...

Or shorties without these problems for about $400 dollars cheaper. Or you can spend $400 dollars more (if not more) to go .05 tenths faster at the drag strip. It's all in what you want and what you willing to give up.

I am getting longtubes by the way...almost on. I have different reasons for that. My old shorties were rusty and my offroad H pipe had a big dent in it...so I figured I would replace it.

Midrange is the only real longtube advantage. It looks better on paper than it shows at the track from what I have seen. The upper rpm range is very very similar in longtube vs. shorty comparisons.

Shorty's usually make it louder compared to longtubes of the same primary diameter.

Mavrick, I meant to say Flowmaster doesn't make headers.

Rynb15, those are 100% factory. You'll pick up about 8hp at the flywheel on a stock motor with aftermarket shortys and probably the same with longtubes, but you'll get more torque with the l/t's.

5speedGT, were your Mac and BBK tubes dented and crimped like stock 5.0 headers? :D

i have had the bbk shorties for a while and then went to longtubes,nice difference in torque,lot more labor involved..if you plan on doin heads and cam later might as well go with the 1 3/4...i made the mistake of 1 5/8

Definately get rid of the stockers, and go with longtubes. BBK has their basic set that can be had for fairly short money, but remember you must buy a short h pipe and possibly O2 extensions with the new setup. Hp and Tq difference will be very noticable with a good setup.

I believe a few of you above are wrong, long tube headers do not increase torque by that much, in fact on some motors they reduce torque over shorties. Most people install longtubes with an x-pipe/ h-pipe, muffers and that combination will definitely increase HP, but not necessarily torque over shorties.

If you have a stock motor, and given the fact that you have stock headers thats probably a good assumtion, the shorties will net you greater torque/ HP gains than longtubes.

If you plan on future HP increases such as Heads, cam, intake, then go with the longtubes, but if you plan on staying with a near stock motor, go with the shorties. Get a high flow cat set up or off road pipe while you are there. THROW AWAY the stock "headers" whatever you do!!!

I gained a LOT more than .05 from my long tubes... actually gained a lot more than .5 from them... Sure it was coupled with a mid pipe change but then again I already had shorties and an aftermarket H-pipe! I also spent less than what I did on the shorties and H-pipe before!!!

25thmustang said:
I gained a LOT more than .05 from my long tubes... actually gained a lot more than .5 from them... Sure it was coupled with a mid pipe change but then again I already had shorties and an aftermarket H-pipe! I also spent less than what I did on the shorties and H-pipe before!!!

It looks like you have a pretty quick car, its hard to believe you made up over 1/2 a second in the quarter going from shorties and a pipe to long tubes and a pipe. I could see a drastic change if it were a high HP car. But who am I to argue, as I stated before, shorties are the way to go with a virtually stock motor ( even a 300hp motor), if you are planning on more than that go ahead and jump to the long tubes, it will benifit you later.