Should I get this Mustang?

So I am 15 and looking to buy my first car. I have always loved Mustangs and while searching used cars I found a 98 mustang convertible. The car is $2,200 which seems like a decent price to me and the car is beautiful. The only problem is that the car at 178,000 miles and I don't know if the car would end up being junk pretty soon anyways. So I am having a tough time deciding whether or not to get it.

• Sponsors (?)

I got my 02 gt at 17, huge respect to you! Mileage doesn't tell you the whole story, I got my car with 99k miles, and at 103k, I developed a rod knock. It all depends on how those 178k miles were driven which is hard to say.... It's always a gamble but that's a pretty cheap price (if it's a gt) my suggestion is to for a drive, and try to find things wrong with it to help lower the price. Try to take it for 1800-2k. Always inspect the car with a fine tooth comb, my rod knock happened because the past owner was a moron and put in the wrong size dipstick causing it to show it had full oil when I barely had 2 quarts. Little stuff like that can be huge. Are you mechanically inclined? Is it a v6 or GT? 5 speed or auto?

Aside from driving it and/or getting a mechanic to look at it (if you are not mechanically inclined)...ask to see maintenance records and receipts for repairs/parts---based on the dates and mileage you might derive a perspective on what condition the car is in mechanically and what you may be looking at in near term repairs. Lacking maintenance records, at 178K you MIGHT be looking at suspension bushings, clutch, timing chains, and brakes in the near term. On a convertible, you may also be looking at a new rear window and/or top, and window rubbers to stop water leaks...try to test operate the top if you can to ensure the hydraulics are working. Cheers!

Aside from driving it and/or getting a mechanic to look at it (if you are not mechanically inclined)...ask to see maintenance records and receipts for repairs/parts---based on the dates and mileage you might derive a perspective on what condition the car is in mechanically and what you may be looking at in near term repairs. Lacking maintenance records, at 178K you MIGHT be looking at suspension bushings, clutch, timing chains, and brakes in the near term. On a convertible, you may also be looking at a new rear window and/or top, and window rubbers to stop water leaks...try to test operate the top if you can to ensure the hydraulics are working. Cheers!
Some great pointers I haven't mentioned, thank you :)

Do you have a covered parking place for this convertible? This is one thing I learned from owning a convertible. It greatly reduces the life of a convertible top to be parked outside.

Are you looking to do your own maintenance? If so, I wouldn't let the high mileage brother you too much. My 2000 GT has 247k miles and I see no reason why it's not good for another 100k miles. But with daily driving an older car spending more on maintenance should be expected.

Welcome.

For me, it would depend on the sort of support you have in place. Are you, or do you know someone, who is mechanically inclined and has tools? Can you afford the higher maintenance? Can you afford the higher insurance (15 year old + sports cars = $$$, my brother had a 98 V6 at that age and he definitely paid for it...)?

20 year old cars mean 20 year old parts and 20 years of opportunity to "modify" them; without a really thorough inspection, it's tough to know what you're getting into. You'll spend a lot more than $2200 if you get something that needs major repair. In 3 years, my 98 (also about 180k miles when I got it) has required a few thousand dollars in parts (though I did spend a couple thousand more on upgrades in the process). But then, my father did not maintain it that well towards the end, and whoever had it before him did shoddy work (the damn door switch panels were glued in after they broke the clips...).