Should I go forced induction?

paddyrk

Jun 7, 2018
Dublin, OH
Hello, I have a 1991 347 stroker, putting down 330 horsepower at the wheels with an AOD. I is naturally aspirated at the moment, and running about 10.5:1 compression.

I use the Holley HP EFI system, and am considering adding a turbocharger onto the mix. I have forged connecting rods and pistons, aluminium heads, but a cast crank. I would like to go with a turbocharger because they seem to be somewhat cheaper than superchargers, but I am not closed off from using a supercharger. I have looked at twin turbo kits made specifically for 5.0 fox bodies, and they seem rather appealing. I favor the turbos more because I can control the amount of boost unlike superchargers. My main questions are:

1. How much boost could I run on 93 octane (keep in mind 10.5:1 compression)
2. How much boost could I run on E85 ethanol? (Yes I know there is more than just emptying my tank and throwing in e85)
3. How much driveability would I lose? (I daily this car to school)
4. Would my MPG get worse?
5. Would I need to get a forged crankshaft?

Any advice helps, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

1. Depends on your build...block might crack above 500hp...
  2. Depends on answer to number 1
  3. Buy two sets of jack stands....keep them in the hatch. Lol
  4. Yes...depending your fuel system is tuned correctly now. Mainly depends on your foot.
  5. The block will split ( usually ) before a properly prepped and balanced cast crank will break.
Turbo really isn't cheaper. Everything is never included in cheap kits. I have on3 and had to purchase a few other things.

1. Depends on your build...block might crack above 500hp...
  2. Depends on answer to number 1
  3. Buy two sets of jack stands....keep them in the hatch. Lol
  4. Yes...depending your fuel system is tuned correctly now. Mainly depends on your foot.
  5. The block will split ( usually ) before a properly prepped and balanced cast crank will break.
Turbo really isn't cheaper. Everything is never included in cheap kits. I have on3 and had to purchase a few other things.
I have seen those kits, how much more did you have to buy and how easy was it to install?
And I plan to buy a boss block so I won't have to worry about that.
How much boost could I get before I experience knocking and pinging?