Should I go with a larger MAF on next tune?

sick2v

Aug 5, 2009
S.A. Tx
I need some tech advice regarding a larger MAF sensor. I have listed mods at bottom and I'm headed to a different tuner but I'm thinking of throwing in a larger MAF sensor hoping for a better tune with the graeter flow of air already coming in. Is this even worth it? Or is a larger MAF more for the FI crowd and not NA? Any help is greatly appreciated...

-Sick2v

• Sponsors (?)

Put a scanner on it that is able to display and log MAF volts. You should consider a new MAF if you are saturating (i.e. putting more air through it than it is able to accurately measure) the one there now.

get a lightning 90mm MAF just to be safe

I don't agree with throwing money around for no reason. Do as stated above with the meter.

So you have any current dyno numbers for your car?

Edit: Don't waste your money for two reasons:
1) Stock MAF is more than enough for NA cars. Unless you are pushing 400 whp, I wouldn't be worried about it.
2) Once you get a new MAF, you will have to tune it.

Absolutely, you have to get a tune after changing mass air meters. The new meter will have a completely different calibration curve.

Again, the only reason to replace the MAF is if you are pegging it (reaching saturation). It simply isn't going to be a significant restriction within the operating range... but if you are pegging the meter, then you could get more accurate engine control by upgrading to something that can indicate higher flow.