Should I stroke my 306? Will my heads/intake support a 331/347?

Saleen302

Jun 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Alright... here's the deal. My crank & rods are f****d so I need new one's anyway. My block needs machining so any clearancing can be done at the same time. My question are...

*Should I buy a stroker crank and rods?
*Will my JE/SRP pistons work?
*Will my ~9.0:1 - 9.1:1 comp. ratio be too low? (I don't want to mill the heads)
*Any reason to go with a forged crank & rods, do I need them to be forged?
*Will my aluminum gt40 y303 heads & cobra intake choke my motor? (the heads have been ported but im not sure how much)
*Can a blower safely be added to a stroker? (later down the road)
*Will it be too much strain on the crank & block?
*Or should I just slap on a blower and call it a day?

Lemme know what you think! TIA..

• Sponsors (?)

If you like

Depends on the type of piston. You can always flycut them if necicary.

*Will my ~9.0:1 - 9.1:1 comp. ratio be too low? (I don't want to mill the heads)

Too low for what?

For most applications go cast. It's VERY hard to break a crank.

*Will my aluminum gt40 y303 heads & cobra intake choke my motor? (the heads have been ported but im not sure how much)

They'll be fine.

Yeah but I'd lower compression.

I wouldn't push the stock block over 450hp.

Sounds good.

Saleen302 said:

Entirely a personal choice. It'll cost more but it'll also make more power.

Saleen302 said:

No.

Saleen302 said:

Your CR will be determined by which pistons you choose. If you're keeping it NA, shoot for around 10.5:1. If you want to plan for a blower, keep it around 9:1.

Saleen302 said:

If you're going to add a blower later on, then go forged. If not then cast is fine.

Saleen302 said:

Yes, they will choke it. But, you'll still make more power than those heads and intake would on a 306. And you can always upgrade your heads and intake later to better feed the stroker.

Saleen302 said:

Yes, depending on the CR.

Saleen302 said:

Stock blocks are good to 500-550 hp depending on rpm range, tune, usage, etc.

Saleen302 said:

If you want. Didn't you say you already need a new crank and rods?

As far as a stroker setup goes, you don't really need it. If you want a car to be entirely streetable, it's not really necessary. Think about it: a longer stroke is for low-end torque, and mainly used to get a bigger, heavier vehicle moving quickly. Why do you think diesels are such high compression? Shazaam! Long stroke. And what kinds of cars do you find diesels in? Dump trucks, big pickups, etc. A Mustang is by no means a big, heavy vehicle. Sure, if you wanna run it at the track all day, fine - build a stroker engine. But if you go to a 347, don't expect that thing to last you 10 years; the geometry of such a long stroke not only wears piston rings very quickly, it also generates all kinds of unwanted heat and vibration. It's your call - if it's an engine you plan to rebuild in the next few years, go ahead and use a 347. You'll be happy with the power.

*Should I buy a stroker crank and rods? yes

*Will my JE/SRP pistons work? yes

*Will my ~9.0:1 - 9.1:1 comp. ratio be too low? (I don't want to mill the heads) No

*Any reason to go with a forged crank & rods, do I need them to be forged? Yes

*Will my aluminum gt40 y303 heads & cobra intake choke my motor? (the
heads have been ported but im not sure how much) Yes

*Can a blower safely be added to a stroker? (later down the road) Yes

*Will it be too much strain on the crank & block? not on a good crank and the block will support good numbers

*Or should I just slap on a blower and call it a day? Go for broke

giddyup306 said:
Too low for what?
too low for an NA motor until/if ever a blower is added... I know it can be done but I notice most guys are running 10.5:1+

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

86Cobra, why do you say my pistons wont work?

86Cobra said:
If you want. Didn't you say you already need a new crank and rods?
Yes I do. If I were to go that route i'd just rebuild the 306 and throw on a blower. Probably add some forged rods if funds allow. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra cost to do a stroker motor. If I can achieve similar numbers with a blower it might be more practical.

HaggardGT,
Good food for thought. Taken into consideration. Thanks.

Most likely the pistons will not work since they will be the WRONG compression height....

You can get a new 302 crank for around $200, a decent SCAT stock length replacement rod will run you under $200 as well, then you can reuse your JE pistons.