Electrical Show Off Your Battery Terminals

I’ve never seen the penny trick, but that’s pretty cool..... I guess.
However....... these are the best terminals I’ve had on anything, by far. PA Performance
5BA6770A-B521-4FEC-8351-CD11769D94F4.png

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Did you crimp a ferrule over the wire? Most mechanical connections (set screw) are not designed for the fine wire used in automotive applications. So a ferrule lug is crimped on first to hold the strands in place and make the connection resistant to vibration.

Did you crimp a ferrule over the wire? Most mechanical connections (set screw) are not designed for the fine wire used in automotive applications. So a ferrule lug is crimped on first to hold the strands in place and make the connection resistant to vibration.
You must be an engineer, I wouldn't of thought of that.:jester:

Nope. Makes perfect sense, but right now, the set screws are just down on the stranded wire.

I’ve had these JL audio ones for a few years now and really like them. Don’t remember them being almost $30 though.

I like the lead free factory style like this:
FAD9C970-DBF8-4A21-A26D-A18BEFC93547.jpeg

They don't look very fancy but they work well. Rest of the setup is a marine battery box from o’reilly and a shut off switch from harbor freight. It was very cheap and works well. I know you probably won’t be able to use a setup like this because your battery is in the engine bay, but wanted to show what terminal I’ve found work best for me.

The terminals @Rdub6 is using look nice.

Attachments

• 1608147440286.png
    1608147440286.png
    103 KB · Views: 63
These look clean and simple when new. Steel does not stand up to battery acid at all compared to ugly old lead ends. Please use the anticorrosion spray for a better service life. If not, I have seen them fall apart after almost dissolving and strand non Motörhead’s.

I like the lead free factory style like this:
FAD9C970-DBF8-4A21-A26D-A18BEFC93547.jpeg

They don't look very fancy but they work well. Rest of the setup is a marine battery box from o’reilly and a shut off switch from harbor freight. It was very cheap and works well. I know you probably won’t be able to use a setup like this because your battery is in the engine bay, but wanted to show what terminal I’ve found work best for me.

The terminals @Rdub6 is using look nice.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
If I had a small blowtorch and heated it up could, or would the solder stick to the brass lug and copper wire. I am thinking about buying heavy gauge wire on Amazon and making my own custom set up

Yes it will work. That's how I do my cables. I cut of the very edge of the brass lug because it flares out and looks bad under heat shrink tubing. I get the heat shrink from harbor freight in an assorted box.

You also need to take vise grips and squeeze the edges of the flat end where the copper folded. It's sometimes a gap that solder will flow out of. I use the torch and heat the end of the cable so I can tin it before installing. ( just add a little solder to the strands and let cool. I use the vice grips to hold the copper lug facing up and heat with the torch....feed the solder in until its a little more than halfway full. Make sure heat shrink is already on cable away from heat. Stick cable end in hot lug and hold for a few seconds. Let cool and slide heat shrink down. A couple quick passes with the torch and it's all done.

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
I like foolin with Karthief...Hes always so serious
I probably shouldn"t say always serious. My favorites are when a new guy gets on here and hes a wiseguy. Second when they don"t do the checklist right. Third is when the give incorrect advice. I have enjoyed my time on StangNet, and have learned a whole bunch. You guys are smart and very welcoming and that separates this forum from all others.

I probably shouldn"t say always serious. My favorites are when a new guy gets on here and hes a wiseguy. Second when they don"t do the checklist right. Third is when the give incorrect advice. I have enjoyed my time on StangNet, and have learned a whole bunch. You guys are smart and very welcoming and that separates this forum from all others.
If you're suck'n up for a reduction on your membership dues FOGETABOTIT! (HE SAYS IN IN HIS BEST GODFATHER VOICE)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users