Shuddering Brake Pads

Kilgore Trout

Fried or Broiled ?
10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
I put on new pads and now when I come to a stop the brakes kinda shudder a little bit when I release the brakes to start going again from the stop. What could be causing this? I got really cheap AutoZone pads, could that be the problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, I pulled the rotors and had them machined prior to installing the new pads. The new pads are just temporary to get me by until I can afford some better ones. Ford wants too much money for pads :notnice:

Even the Bullitt Archive dude does not use Ford pads...

Kilgore Trout said:
Yes, I pulled the rotors and had them machined prior to installing the new pads. The new pads are just temporary to get me by until I can afford some better ones. Ford wants too much money for pads :notnice:

Even the Bullitt Archive dude does not use Ford pads...
where did you get them machined? a reputable shop or jiffy lube? when you got the rotors back, were they smooth? did they have a glossy finish or a rough finish? all very important questions. and bro, you coulda gone aftermarket and gotten some pads for like $60. Hawk, top of the line. screw motorcraft and their "genuine ford quality".

I had them machined at Goodyear, they looked awesome after machining.

I am going to throw some diff pads on tomorrow I think my problem is those $24 AutoZone pads...

Yeah those cheap pads might be the problem. Motorcraft pads are pretty good, but you can go with a good aftermarket set for cheap. But not Auto Zone. Get out of the Zone, Auto Zone.

:lol:

Sorry to hear about your troubles Kilgore. I wouldn't have expected you to go cheap :(

I wish I could remember what brake pads I had on my old Mustang, they didn't leave brake dust or anything and they were AWESOME.

I learned my leason with cheap pads. Got the bargain pads from AutoZone for my Expedition...9 months later they were worn out and ate into the rotor. If anyone has had to replace the rotor on an F150 or Expy you will know that the rotor has the wheel bearings as part of the entire assembly. Not cheap and not easy as the regular rotors.

I went to AutoZone and got the most expensive Performance Friction pads they had even though the saleperson kept telling me I had a lifetime warrenty on the cheap crap. :rolleyes:

Those have lasted a while...going on two years...with little brake dust.

Kilgore Trout said:
AutoZone has really been getting on my nerves lately, half of the problem is the employees :nonono:

yeah, my buddy works at autozone - he is very knowledgable and helpful, but there are a few idiots that he works with, and i'm sure this is true for just about any auto parts store. The good employees get overshadowed by the morons that work there who are giving the store a bad rep. What I have found, in general, is that Durlast/Valucraft parts are trash at best. The only stuff I trust is name brand stuff they sell, and the electronics (Wells makes good stuff). Their starters are crap, my brother's gf has gone through 2 in a year... quality :nice:

coramprat said:
I learned my leason with cheap pads. Got the bargain pads from AutoZone for my Expedition...9 months later they were worn out and ate into the rotor. If anyone has had to replace the rotor on an F150 or Expy you will know that the rotor has the wheel bearings as part of the entire assembly. Not cheap and not easy as the regular rotors.

I went to AutoZone and got the most expensive Performance Friction pads they had even though the saleperson kept telling me I had a lifetime warrenty on the cheap crap. :rolleyes:

Those have lasted a while...going on two years...with little brake dust.

you have a 2wd expy. we don't see many of those in these parts. in fact I have never seen one yet. But I do know what you mean the 2wd f-150 has the same setup and yes you have to repack the bearings but atleast they don't seize themselfs to the hubs like the 4x4 sandwich style ones do..

9-10 times on a 4x4 expy you have to remove the rotors by using a sledge hammer and smash it untill the rotor hat cracks and seperates from the brake rotor surface. :lol: I am serious they seize on that bad. most of the time when I finally get them off the rotor hat ( the part of the rotor that fits onto the hub) is seperated fully from the rotor brake surface

killy. do you have any nosie when you stop at all. like a thumping when you apply the brakes. or even a clicking?

No, I only get noise when I let off the brakes to start going again after stopping.

I am pretty sure I did a proper job:
-had rotors resurfaced
-cleaned and lubed the metal slots that the ears on the pads ride in
-used squeal preventer between pistons and pads
-checked the slide pins, the slide very free so I did not disassemble, clean, and lube
-made sure all mating surfaces were clean on rotor, hub bearing assembly face, and inner surface of rim

Two options here, one, go seat the pads. Drive the car to about 80 mph, hammer the brakes down to about 20 mph, don't let them lock. Do this 4 or 5 times. If this doesn't solve your problem, pull the calipers and rebuild them.

The Autozone pads should be fine and comparable to stock. I don't mean to set myself up for ridicule but you guys are all full of it. They are basically the same as a stock pad. There are a lot of good aftermarket pads that are better but the auzone pads are ok. I use them in anything that I don't drive hard (just like a stock pad)and I drive 60-80k a year- I know brakes. I used to drive 60 miles of canyon a day- I really know brakes. The stock pads in my Honda (don't judge!) wore out just as fast as the autozone pads. The autozone carbon-metalic pads are actually better than stock and pretty cheap. Plus, if they go bad- lifetime warranty which they always honor.