Drivetrain Shut off noise

Jaycee86!

Apr 3, 2023
Hey guys I’m new to the form hopefully I can get some help with my car . I’m not super mechanical inclined but I did pull my transmission out and install a new clutch

But now when I turn my car on push the clutch in and I’m gear then turn it off back In neutral or in gear doesn’t matter but once it’s off I hear a grinding slow spinning noise .
Keep in mind if I turn the car on and just shut it off without putting it in gear it won’t make the sound

Help please

• Sponsors (?)

So I just tried turning the car off after getting in 1 gear then stepping on the clutch and shutting it down and holding the clutch in when I can hear the spinning down I release my clutch pedal and it stops immediately

It shouldn't make a difference (in my mind anyway) because of [when] you hear the noise but... If you're running the stock clutch and quadrant still, have you checked to ensure there are no broken or worn teeth on the quadrant? Just for grins.

If/When you take it back apart. Look hard at the bearing retainer:

If it's marred in any way.. replace it. If it's the OEM aluminum piece, replace it regardless of how shiny.

@Mustang5L5 - Anything else am I forgetting to mention?

Could a improper clutch cable adjustment cause that slow spinning down grind noise at shut down

How slow are we talking?

When you shut the engine down, the flywheel and pressure plate come to a stop almost immediately as engine compression slows it all down.

The clutch pressure plate will spin the input shaft, unless the transmission is in gear. Try an experiment and see if the sound goes away if you turn the engine off under different conditions such as below.

Clutch in, trans in neutral
clutch out, trans in neutral
clutch in, trans in gear.

Any difference in when you hear the sound? If you hear the same spindown sound in all 3 conditions, it's something else.