Side Scoops

sirpoofington

Jul 20, 2006
I have an 04 GT and noticed the other day that the quarter panel side scoops (just behind the doors) are different sizes. The one on the driver's side appears to be a more "enclosed style," where the both the inner and outter surfaces of the molding are full length, enclosing the little honeycomb insert. On the passenger's side, it appears that the outter surface is "cut away" in its design. Just wondering what's up with that?

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Sponsors (?)

you got scoops from a 99-00 and 01-04 stang. I don't recall mineral grey/dsg coming in the 99-00 style.

did you buy your car used from a private seller? it may have had body damage, and he may have neglected to tell you.

Have only had the car for about 2 months now. Bought it used off a reputable lot in my area, wasn't informed of any body damage. Seems odd to me, anyway I can get a replacement correct scoop? If so how much and from where? Think it's body damage? Or is it some oddity of manufacture?

It could have been a mistake from the factory (since V6's had the non-enclosed one) or an accident like was said above. It's not unheard of that things like this happen from Ford. There have been Bullitts from the Bullitt website that: didn't come with a hoodscoop, GT side scoops, GT C-pillars, and mismatched GT/Bullitt c-pillars. Ford's quality control :notnice:

I think it is bad bodywork not manufacturing defect. Take out the rear interior quarter trim and have a look at the inside surfaces of the rear quarter panels. If body work was done you will see it from behind for sure.

Yes, it is more than likely a Monday car or a Friday car. There are many instances of this happening all over the Mustang community.... Mach 1s and Bullitts with mis-matched (and incorrect) C-pillars, wrong bumpers, mismatched fender badges, etc.

As for replacement, check eBay.. you can find them typically cheaper than going to the dealer.

I just find it hard to believe that no one noticed or fixed this in the 2.whatever years of this cars existance. Also both scoops look slightly off color wise which leads me to believe that at least one of them was added after an accident.

Not saying Ford hasn't F'd up, because they have a ton, I just can't see the car changing hands a minimum of 3 times without any one noticing or fixing this earlier.

Susky said:
Are the scoops from different car types interchangeable? I sometimes think I like the basic V6 ones better than my GT scoops, and I always wondered how easy they'd be to swap out.

Yep, and pretty easy too. They just snap out and snap in.

myponyrocks said:
I just find it hard to believe that no one noticed or fixed this in the 2.whatever years of this cars existance. Also both scoops look slightly off color wise which leads me to believe that at least one of them was added after an accident.

Not saying Ford hasn't F'd up, because they have a ton, I just can't see the car changing hands a minimum of 3 times without any one noticing or fixing this earlier.

You also have to realize that not everyone that owns a Mustang is an enthusiast about the cars. Most people that own cars, no matter if they are a Mustang or they are a Mercedes, only look at the car as an appliance. They tend to not notice things like this. Or, if they noticed it they though "hmm, that' odd".. but because nothing was really broken or interfered with the driving of the car didn't bother with replacing it.

I dunno, I mean I could see if it was 2 similar scoops, but theses are WAYYYY different. Some one would have pointed it out to them at least.

I know what you mean though about people who aren't enthusiats, or just getting into the scene.

Well, it's not so much of a concern to me now, not enough to take off the interior panel to take a look (cuz I've heard it's a PITA). I ran a magnet over it with a piece of paper between it and the body, and it didn't fall off after dragging it around every edge of the right side panel. In person the paint looks to match, the picture may be slightly deceiving. Unless the potential bondo job is paper thin, I've always had the magnet/ paper trick work on other cars. BTW is there a functional side scoop kit for these cars? For rear brake venting and what not?