smiles and curse words throughout the day

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
All started with wanting to put on new ball joints to finish my front end journey (All new R&P, tie rod ends, hoses). Brakes are still stockers as I have all the 5 lug conversion stuff just needing rims and tires. Found a set of Moog ball joints on ebay for $60 a pair. Checkers/Orielly's only sells the generic stuff and had to order Moog at $60 each.

Started it last night with the passenger side. Got it all done but I needed to finish installing the steel brake line as the bracket didnt secure it well enough. Had to weld on new material onto the bracket and grind away other parts to get it to fit. Not the prettiest thing you'd see but no one will see it once it is installed and it came out working perfect. So I got that finished last night.

Today I started the driver side. Ball joint was done in less than 30 minutes (done several of these). I started on the steel brake line install. I didnt install it before because the hard line wouldnt break free so I bought a new one as I knew I was going to strip this one. So stripped it and put the new one on. Wasnt too bad as it was just the driver side and the hard line was easy to fish in. I got it all put together and buttoned up and I decided to bleed the brakes starting from rear. Got the rears done when I realized I put in the old brake fluid (Catch bottle) into the resevoir. Started over with draining the old garbage out. Got to the driver side rear and just finished bleeding it when the bleeder end snapped off.

Had to take apart the entire driver side brake to get to the cylinder. Luckily I had two new bleeders in my box. Took the cylinder off and I had the smallest extracted which just fit the left over bleeder piece (thanks craftsman.) Put the new one in and put the rear brake together.

Bled brakes all over again but I think I have still have some air in there. I also need to adjust the driver side brakes as I just left it loose. I think this might also be why it feels like there is air in the brakes.

All in all I am glad I got it done as I need to align the front but dont want to without the new ball joints. I love moog stuff. Given the stockers had 166k on them but moog is a great improvement.

Just thought I'd vent a little. I will probably make my own pressure bleeder so I can be sure I get all the nasties out. Hard to due without being able to see the fluid coming out. Fustrating hobby but glad I can do the work myself.

Have a good night.

• Sponsors (?)

Because it didn't need to be replaced. Seals all looked good and I had new bleeders anyways. Brakes work great. The new SS braided lines make a huge difference. Of course the old ones were cracked and probably original. I am sure the new fluid also helped.

Welcome to the club. I've been fighting a no spark problem on my truck for days now. Decided to take a break and finish up my fuel pump install on my 91 since the rest of my parts came in. Then I couldn't get it to fire up either. :p