smoke from the oil filler? -winter wake up

NFGTragedy

Oct 19, 2004
Rochester, NY
Pulled my pony out of the garage from the winter today and got her up and running. She seemed to run like a champ but after a good 10-15mins of solid idle time it seemed to be letting out a little white smoke out of the oil filler tube? Exhaust didn't seem to show any signs of any white smoke besides the first maybe 2-3 mins. Any idea what would cause this white smoke to come from the oil filler? If I'm using the wrong term its the tube that comes up from the passenger side valve cover. It currently has a filter kind of deal at the top? Is it just her waking back up and burning off the nasties? I'd like to get some opinions before I take her out for a spin.

Car is an 89lx w/ a 91 gt motor swapped in. It has about 90k on the clock and starts turn key every day. This is the first time of starting in about 6-7 months probably (winter sucked). Any ideas or am I just being over cautious?

• Sponsors (?)

You really shouldn't let it sit for that long with out running it. At least go out and fire it up and let it idle for a couple minutes every few weeks, it helps recirculate the oil and keep all the internal parts coated.

For a better idea of what I'm talking about I felt a picture could hopefully help. I plan on changing the oil in the next 2 days or so and seeing how it turns out. The photo is from the passenger side of the car looking under the hood. Any ideas?

Yes, I know starting it up often is preferred but it doesn't always work out that way. I try to do it as often as I can.

engine2tw9.jpg

I was not aware of that actually as it was like that when I got the car... So you suggest replacing it with a cap of some sort? I would have figured if it was a huge issue I would have noticed by now. The car idles at a perfect 850ish and never seems to studder or anything. Any insight into why smoke(or steam?) would come out of there when idling? I don't really know much about the engine but I figure any kind of smoke is typically not a good sign, just hoping someone has seen this before.

I'm going to try changing the oil and getting a cap for it and then let it run for a bit and see how things progress.

blowby? Care to explain.

alot of times when the engine is old or wore out the rings wont seat properly and oil will seep by the rings or visa versa. You can get combustion in your oil and it will smoke from your oil filler neck. some is normal but if it alot the the engine needs a rebuild