sn95 axles/wheels/brakes

vristang

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle
I have had some rubbing issues since converting to sn95 brakes. Someone on another thread had suggested that my combo was the problem. I would like to know if what I did several years ago is unusual.

Front
94 uprights
17x9 cobras with 24mm offset (from AFS)
255 Tires
I did have to hammer out the outer fender lip quite a bit to prevent rubbing. The way it is now, I will only rub if I hit a bump in a hard corner. There is some very slight rubbing on the inner fender apron, but it is only enough to make a clean spot. I am not worried about it.

Rear
95 rear end
95 31 spline axles
17x9 cobra with 36mm offset (from AFS)
275 Tires
I did not have to hammer the outer fenders too much when I had 255s in the back. I have no clearance issues on the inside. I still have the quads in place and did not have to turn them over. I have about .5" clearance between the tires and quads.

Is this different than what most people do when they convert their brakes. Are my rubbing issues due to having the wrong parts somewhere? If I can change out some parts to improve tire clearance, that would be nice.

I appreciate the help guys
jason

• Sponsors (?)

Your rubbing issues in the front are from huge tires. I run 235's up front on my stang to avoid rub. 255's are big, and if you want to run that tire you'll need to live with rub.

Out back, where are you expeirencing the rub? On the fender lips?

It's tough to make 17x9's work with the SN95 offset. It brings the tire too much to the outside and it tends to rub the fender lip over bumps.

Mustang5L5 said:
Your rubbing issues in the front are from huge tires. I run 235's up front on my stang to avoid rub. 255's are big, and if you want to run that tire you'll need to live with rub.

Out back, where are you expeirencing the rub? On the fender lips?

It's tough to make 17x9's work with the SN95 offset. It brings the tire too much to the outside and it tends to rub the fender lip over bumps.

:stupid: ...I think the 275s are 2 big with the sn95 axels

vristang said:
I have had some rubbing issues since converting to sn95 brakes. Someone on another thread had suggested that my combo was the problem. I would like to know if what I did several years ago is unusual.

Front
94 uprights
17x9 cobras with 24mm offset (from AFS)
255 Tires
I did have to hammer out the outer fender lip quite a bit to prevent rubbing. The way it is now, I will only rub if I hit a bump in a hard corner. There is some very slight rubbing on the inner fender apron, but it is only enough to make a clean spot. I am not worried about it.

Rear
95 rear end
95 31 spline axles
17x9 cobra with 36mm offset (from AFS)
275 Tires
I did not have to hammer the outer fenders too much when I had 255s in the back. I have no clearance issues on the inside. I still have the quads in place and did not have to turn them over. I have about .5" clearance between the tires and quads.

Is this different than what most people do when they convert their brakes. Are my rubbing issues due to having the wrong parts somewhere? If I can change out some parts to improve tire clearance, that would be nice.

I appreciate the help guys
jason

Looked up the Ford Specs just for you. A 17x9 5 Lug wheel to go with 94/95 Front Spindles and 94-98 rear axles.

Fronts = 17x9 with 5.98" backspace

Rears = 17x9 with 6.42" backspace

5LugFoxFanatic said:
I have 245/45/17 all of the way around and I get no rub in the back and I do get rub at full lock in the front, so I took out my inner fender wells. It's not bad anymore, but if I were to do it again, I'd go 235 in the front.

You can always use rack limiters.

Shakerhood said:
Looked up the Ford Specs just for you. A 17x9 5 Lug wheel to go with 94/95 Front Spindles and 94-98 rear axles.

Fronts = 17x9 with 5.98" backspace

Rears = 17x9 with 6.42" backspace

Those numbers sound very familiar. I am pretty sure this is what I have. I'll have to measure though to make sure.

Thanks for the info.

First, thanks for all the input guys, it is appreciated.:hail2: :hail2: :hail2:

It sounds like the hard parts that I have are all correct, but my tires are too big.
I am not too concerned with the front rubbing on the inner apron since this only happens in the parking lots, at low speed.

The rear tires are still an issue though. I made a turn into a parking lot the other day and chewed up the outer edge of the tire. I'll have to replace it soon.
I think the solution is to hammer on the outer fender lip a little more (there are still some ridges there), and to turn down the mating surface of the back wheels about .150" This should bring the wheel inboard enough to clear the outer fender lip, and still leave me enough clearance on the inboard side.
Also the springs may be a little saggy, so I will look into new ones.
Basically, I don't like the idea of loosing the 275s in back now that I have the torque of the 408w. I need all the grip I can get.:(

Thanks again
jason