Sn95 Backfiring? Help!

Street_Beast95

Dec 7, 2016
I've owned the car now 3 years, it has always done this, but its to the point now where it will affect the overall performance of the car. Me an my dad believed that it could be because the car doesn't warm up quick, or where we havent installed bigger fuel injectors in the car, so it is lean?... the car is a 302 bored .40 over...it currently has 19lb (stock) fuel injectors followed by a bbk cold air kit, 1087 blue racer cam, morso elec. water pump, high volume oil pump, cobra intake, flat top pistons, 1.6 roller rockers, eldlebrok vic. jr heads, and other things that i am forgetting...we need some suggestions ASAP PLEASE!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet.

I'll move your post to the '79-'95 tech section. Our gearheads reside there and will probably be able to help you out.

Good luck and I hope you get it running smoothly.

Welcome, we need more info

• what year car
  • SD or MAF
  • auto or stick
  • have you removed the emissions, EGR
  • Your injectors are sufficient for your horsepower- what is your fuel pressure
  • flat top pistons only were in 86 year which was SD
  • backfiring out of the exhaust is normally a valve timing or lean issue

Welcome, we need more info

• what year car
  • SD or MAF
  • auto or stick
  • have you removed the emissions, EGR
  • Your injectors are sufficient for your horsepower- what is your fuel pressure
  • flat top pistons only were in 86 year which was SD
  • backfiring out of the exhaust is normally a valve timing or lean issue
The car is a 95', 5 speed...we haven't removed the EGR, we haven't installed a fuel pressure gauge so i am unsure of the fuel pressure, these pistons were put in by the previous owner... we think that the valve guides need to be replaced, but wanted to go through every small possibility before we get into spending more money...

Engine has been rebuilt?
Any other bolt ons or is it stock?
Was it originally a v8 stick car?
Is it 'popping' through the intake or exhaust?
Do you know how to run codes?
We can help you, need specific info.
Your in the right place,
Just a thought, is there a thermostat in it?

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

Reactions: 1 user