Fox sn95 donor for foxbody

hey guys, as you can tell im new here. I have a 4cyl foxbody that I want to turn into my track time car (drifting, road race, drag). I also bought a junkyard 1996 gt to help make this possible, what is transferable, what needs to be done on the foxbody, and what do I need to buy?

• Sponsors (?)

Thats a very time consuming swap. The easiest way is to ditch PATS and use stinger xs or ms3 based standalone to run the car. Not sure what accessories will fit. Probably will have to ditch ac.

You'll need everything from the donor and almost everything out if you pockets.

Are they auto or stick cars ?

What year is the fox ?

It would be easier to take the rear and front spindles and control arms....and use maximum motorsports k memeber. Then swap in wiring harness compatible with your year fox....and add 302 or 351 of your choice with suitable trans.

The 96 gt wasn't the best year...although the 2v 4.6 does like boost.

The good swap option would be a 94 or 95 v8. The trans and bellhousings have differences that move the shifter back some.

Swapping a 96 into a fox is doable...but not the easiest or cheapest route. The 4.6 is a wide engine....and not that much power na.

Step 1. Sell the 96 , buy something that’s more compatible . I’d even consider selling the 2.3 car and buy a v8 car. You’ll save a fortune and probably 100+ hours or more.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Thats a very time consuming swap. The easiest way is to ditch PATS and use stinger xs or ms3 based standalone to run the car. Not sure what accessories will fit. Probably will have to ditch ac.

You'll need everything from the donor and almost everything out if you pockets.

Are they auto or stick cars ?

What year is the fox ?

It would be easier to take the rear and front spindles and control arms....and use maximum motorsports k memeber. Then swap in wiring harness compatible with your year fox....and add 302 or 351 of your choice with suitable trans.

The 96 gt wasn't the best year...although the 2v 4.6 does like boost.

The good swap option would be a 94 or 95 v8. The trans and bellhousings have differences that move the shifter back some.

Swapping a 96 into a fox is doable...but not the easiest or cheapest route. The 4.6 is a wide engine....and not that much power na.

the fox is a 91 automatic and the 96 is 5 speed. this might sound dumb but what PATS/STINGER XS/ MS3? Im trying really to do this gutted out and simpliest way. I don't really care for a nice car just a car to do dumb :poo: in. I wouldn't be able to use the 96 k member just to get me started? how much man hours do you estimate and money

I know you came in here looking for advice from experienced mustang folks. Both guys above gave excellent advice. If you spend, for example, $8k on everything to do the swap, or spend $8k on a whole V8 car which would you want? I'd want the original one. Those are made up numbers but you get the point. The difference is you don't go insane trying to find every wire, plug, bolt, etc, etc, etc to get the pile of parts working.
If you are thrilled to do all that then, hey, nothing wrong with a project. I've seen lots of those types projects sold later on after the owner waved the white flag. Seems to be a lot of trouble for a less than desirable donor car. You'll get good advice...up to you. Welcome to the forum.

I know you came in here looking for advice from experienced mustang folks. Both guys above gave excellent advice. If you spend, for example, $8k on everything to do the swap, or spend $8k on a whole V8 car which would you want? I'd want the original one. Those are made up numbers but you get the point. The difference is you don't go insane trying to find every wire, plug, bolt, etc, etc, etc to get the pile of parts working.
If you are thrilled to do all that then, hey, nothing wrong with a project. I've seen lots of those types projects sold later on after the owner waved the white flag. Seems to be a lot of trouble for a less than desirable donor car. You'll get good advice...up to you. Welcome to the forum.
I hear what you`re saying, its definitely not going to be an easy swap. This probably the hardest swap to do from what I read but is there has to be a backyard/ simple way to do it? I really dont care for what the end result looks like, I just want to learn to drive the :poo: out of it to do it all over again with a stronger engine. Thank you, glad to be here.

Last edited:
You can gut the 4 banger and put everything in it from the 96. The k member....rear...and everything in between. You could even swap the dash and column. PATS is the built in factory alarm that looks for the chip in the key in order to allow the car to start. It can be bypassed but isn't the easiest thing to do. ( theres info online about the different options ). Ms3 is a stand alone comouter getting away from the factory computer and allows full tuning for just about any engine or vehicle configuration.

The biggest issue will be the dash harness and integrating the fix power locks, windows, wipers, hatch/trunk release, ...etc

You can gut the 4 banger and put everything in it from the 96. The k member....rear...and everything in between. You could even swap the dash and column. PATS is the built in factory alarm that looks for the chip in the key in order to allow the car to start. It can be bypassed but isn't the easiest thing to do. ( theres info online about the different options ). Ms3 is a stand alone comouter getting away from the factory computer and allows full tuning for just about any engine or vehicle configuration.

The biggest issue will be the dash harness and integrating the fix power locks, windows, wipers, hatch/trunk release, ...etc
If I have the key for the junkyard gt would that work? I would like to put a stand-alone Ecu later down the road so I have the tuning capability but that’s when I can afford the engine that I really want for the car. Would I need to do any fab work to get things to fit or should everything fit fine with it gutted?

Last edited:
Everything will go in gutted. The 96 wheels are situated wider ( thats a + for a fox body ). The wheels will sit about 3/4 inch per side further out....and the front sits a little further forward also. Its not a big deal. May rub in the front but a very simple modification will fix that.

You can swap the e brake handle in too...but you'll need the cable bracket that under the car as well. I drilled out the spot welds and used 4 grade 8 bolts to install in my fox.

If i remember correctly there is something funky about the brake booster. I think the 96 is hydroboost and not a round vacuum booster. The bolt pattern is different but drill a couple holes and done. Easy with the dash and engine out. A bunch of folks go the hydroboost route to fit larger engines in foxes.....better than manual brakes ( subject to opinion ).

The only things i haven't seen someone swap well is door panels. The dash takes some trimming to fit...but will fit. The windshield area needs some trimming on the dash. The width actually works with fox door panels.

Not sure how to work out the lighting....you'll need a schematic for that. They work on the same principal though.

You'll need the brake lines and fuel lines from the tank forward. The 96 tank should swap also but fox tank will work. Not sure what size pump is in 96...but they swap. There are threads everywhere of what needs to be done. Your will add to the list.

Post some pics... lets get this swap going.

Reactions: 1 user
Everything will go in gutted. The 96 wheels are situated wider ( thats a + for a fox body ). The wheels will sit about 3/4 inch per side further out....and the front sits a little further forward also. Its not a big deal. May rub in the front but a very simple modification will fix that.

You can swap the e brake handle in too...but you'll need the cable bracket that under the car as well. I drilled out the spot welds and used 4 grade 8 bolts to install in my fox.

If i remember correctly there is something funky about the brake booster. I think the 96 is hydroboost and not a round vacuum booster. The bolt pattern is different but drill a couple holes and done. Easy with the dash and engine out. A bunch of folks go the hydroboost route to fit larger engines in foxes.....better than manual brakes ( subject to opinion ).

The only things i haven't seen someone swap well is door panels. The dash takes some trimming to fit...but will fit. The windshield area needs some trimming on the dash. The width actually works with fox door panels.

Not sure how to work out the lighting....you'll need a schematic for that. They work on the same principal though.

You'll need the brake lines and fuel lines from the tank forward. The 96 tank should swap also but fox tank will work. Not sure what size pump is in 96...but they swap. There are threads everywhere of what needs to be done. Your will add to the list.

Post some pics... lets get this swap going.
Thank you man, I originally just wanted that gutted look but my wife just scorned me for not also having a commuter for work so the added detail definitely helps with both of my problem lol. I’m planning on getting aftermarket wheels since the junkyard car doesn’t have any. Do you know what the widest wheel I’ll be able to put on? If you have offsets too that’ll be fantastic. I’m going with a 17 or 18 inch wheel.

I stand corrected. I always thought the SN95 designation was only for the 2 years. I know they dropped the 5.0 in 1996 & the body style changed & changed again in 1999. I'm always learning something new here.
https://lmr.com/products/what-is-an-sn95-mustang
While the SN-95 stretches from 1994-2004, there was a new body style in 1999-2004 that was nick named "New Edge". While there is debate where this name came from, most agree that it is derived from the new edgier body lines. Techinally it is an SN-95 but most enthusiasts refer to 1994-1998 as SN-95 and 1999-2004 Mustangs as a New Edge.

Reactions: 1 users
" I want to turn into my track time car (drifting, road race, drag). "

This also will take your set up in very different directions. Each one of those set ups are quite different from each other. Might need to pick one and go that route.

" I want to turn into my track time car (drifting, road race, drag). "

This also will take your set up in very different directions. Each one of those set ups are quite different from each other. Might need to pick one and go that route.
Yeah I’d definitely need different setup for each, but I believe with an adjustable suspension and when I get the stand alone Ecu for even more tuning capability, I’d be able to do any racing I want. That’s for a later time though for now just getting the damn thing running is top priority lol

Last edited:
Slowly but surely I’m getting the foxbody stripped. The 1996 hasn’t been delivered yet, kinda bummed about that but while that’s not here I continue on the Fox

Attachments

• CCA93832-2E60-45C4-A267-57B8938D7DE6.jpeg
    CCA93832-2E60-45C4-A267-57B8938D7DE6.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 69297FCF-8771-4EED-A077-F8CDE971864F.jpeg
    69297FCF-8771-4EED-A077-F8CDE971864F.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 71B9548A-E5F7-4A88-80D0-C7FAA0BCAC03.jpeg
    71B9548A-E5F7-4A88-80D0-C7FAA0BCAC03.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 123
  • A6266298-BEAB-4296-A817-54A5F71F9E6A.jpeg
    A6266298-BEAB-4296-A817-54A5F71F9E6A.jpeg