Roush SN95 S351 Radiator Question

world.of.wheels

Dec 16, 2003
I see the S351T's came with a 3-core radiator and the S351R's came with a 4-core radiator in the SN95 body style Saleens.

Question:
Was the 3-core radiator the stock radiator that would have been in a Mustang GT? Aluminum?

What 4-core brand and make was the rad used in the S351R? Was it an exact fit and an easy install. Aluminum or not?

My S351 runs nice temperatures. On a very hot day in heavier traffic, it does not boil, but it runs too hot for MY comfort (190+???). Not that I do not pay attention to gauges, but I simply would like it to run so I am not constantly looking at the heat gauge with concern (170 - 180 at all times).

Any help would be great for the 4-core rad, brand and part# if possible.

• Sponsors (?)

The N/A cars did get the 3 core. The blown cars were supposed to get the 4 core after 95 and after all S351's went supercharged in 96 all cars got the 4 core. I have seen 1995 R -Codes with the 3 core in them though. It was a direct fit and there were lots of hot running cars like yours. 190 is not as bad as most. In 1999 Joe at Saleen then ( now owns Chicane ) came up with the double pass that he sells to this day. The EPA was coming down hard on Saleen for cooler running numbers so he came up with his version of the radiator. He also came up with the cooling fans in the trunk on the 99-00 cars to cool the fuel a few degree's.

If you are concerned about your running temps Joe's radiator is worth it. My S351R got one and would run cool idling for hours.

No one should have to sit in traffic in an S351R anyway! Ha ha.:D

http://www.chicanesport.com/products/publish/article_11.shtml

p0000692.jpg

Thanks for the reply Marcus. I know the person I bought the car from has another 1998 S351R with the 4 core and the temp on his car is PERFECT at all times. I am interested in what 4 core rad was put in and if it is a direct fit for easy of installation as I have a 1995. Any info where Saleen bought the 4 core. Did they use a Griffin 4 Core, as I am hearing they make one and they were a direct bolt in. Were the 3 core and 4 core rads used in the Saleen cars aluminum?

Thanks
Jason

I don't know what the three cores were but I do know that on some of the 94 and 95 cars they left the stock 5 liter radiator in there. My 95 came with the 4 core becuase it was only one of 6 cars Saleen built the 351 from that year.

I believe Joe's is a Griffin with his touches to it. Don't quote me on that. Oh, and the 4 core is aluminum. If your buddy has a 98 then he is in good shape because Saleen was getting their act together better. Those with the early cars sometimes got what was available.

The question still remains unanswered....which 4 core radiator did Saleen use as I want to purchase that "exact" one if possible.

So did you find out where to get one??

Mine was the 3 row all brass. It has a tag from some place in California that I assume Saleen used to build the radiator. I can't remember the name of the place. I am having problems in the summer and need to get something else.

I don't know what the three cores were but I do know that on some of the 94 and 95 cars they left the stock 5 liter radiator in there. My 95 came with the 4 core becuase it was only one of 6 cars Saleen built the 351 from that year.

I believe Joe's is a Griffin with his touches to it. Don't quote me on that. Oh, and the 4 core is aluminum. If your buddy has a 98 then he is in good shape because Saleen was getting their act together better. Those with the early cars sometimes got what was available.

Marcus,
What do you mean when you say yours was one of only 6 cars Saleen built the 351 from that year??

Tom