Snapped Tap

jj3613

May 14, 2005
I snapped off a tap in an engine block bolt hole for the timing cover on a 5.0 block. Question one: any good ideas on getting it out. Question two: The bolt hole is adjacent to the water outlet hole in the block. If the tap cannot be removed, can I get by without using that bolt hole with the hopes that the other bolts will hold enough to keep the water where it should flow?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you can get away with it.. not the best, but I've seen it done many many times. Just build up a good bead of silicone and snug the rest real good... let the silicone set up for a couple hours before introducing any coolant or water into the system. Just as a measure of safety.

As for the tap breaking... wow, never heard that... Always, for ever 2-3 turns of the tap, back it back out 1 turn to clear the threads. Try using a reverse drill bit to see if you can get to to back out. Or a bolt extractor... Although I have heard more bad then good with those... they like to break also.

Any good industrial supply shop like J&l or grainger will have a tap extractor..tell them whay size, and how many flutes..they will set you up fine. You'll have the tap out asap.

And when you get the tap extractor, make sure you shoot some oil down around the tap before you try to extract it. Be careful not to bend the prongs on the extractor also. You have to work it out the same way you SHOULD have worked the tap in, backing it off every turn or so.

Good luck getting the tap out, I've never had any luck with tap extractors.

NosPony said:
NEVER use cheap taps. If u do they will break. I use only craftsman, mag, or snap-on. You get what u pay for.
That's kinda funny, I always thought the craftsman were the cheap taps. :D OSG tap & die all the way! MSC sells them and if you order before 4pm, it shows up the next day (shipping is not cheap tho, either UPS red or blue).

MSC

If worse comes to worst and you're unable to get it out using a specialty tap extractor, diamond tipped Dremel bits will eat right through the core of the tap and then the rest of the pieces will fall out. DO NOT try to use an "Easy Out" style bolt / screw extractor. Use only the "prong style" tap extractor. If you break of an e-z out, which is normally the case, you will be VERY VERY disappointed and will have a whole new set of problems. Good luck.

Thanks

Thanks for all your advise. I went to my local welder and he used his tig welder to build up beads on the broken tap to bring solid metal above the level of the block and was able to work the broken tap out with vice grips and re-tap with a bottom tap. The bolt hole is still good! I appreciate all your help!

use a set of right angle snap ring pliers and put the pins on opposite debri gutters. on a good set of plires the pins should be hardened steel and should hold up to the pressure. had to do it a few times at work cause they by cheap taps.