So I am debating which DOHC v8 to use...

• Sponsors (?)

well, the v6 t5 is still a WC t5 rated at 310Ft/lbs....more than enough to handle the 280ft/lbs the mark viii engine puts out(besides, a t5 will last fairly long behind a 500ft/lb small block as long as you dont beat the hell out of it....but I will be using it simply because I already have it(from my other engine that got stolen) so i wont have to hunt down a t45 that costs $500 or so with three times as many miles and is likely to have been beaten on....my t5 only has 25k miles on it...besides, the mods needed to make it work are minimal simplybecause it is a v6 model(the v8 model t5 would actually be more difficult to make work believe it or not) one other advantage is it only weighs 75lbs...the t45 or 3650 are both eavier...the t56 weighs twice as much

if this one fails, I will start looking for a richmond 6 speed(or possibly just rebuild the t5 for high power)

Wicked, how much did you pay for the 4.6 and where did you fid it. What did it come with? What are you planning to do for a rear and are you doing a upgrade to the rear suspension to something else. I am doing a 4.6 in 66'convertible but have not yet bought the motor.

ended up paying $585 shipped to me from MI...a far better price than you can find a mach1 or cobra engine for(however the mark viii engine is makes 20hp less and 20ft/lbs less than the cora engine due to differences in he intake and cams, though the LSC version is 290HP, 10HP more due to a more agressive engine tune)...as for what it comes with...I expect an engine harness and nothing else...while I wont junk the engine harness I will strip it down to the mininum needed(pretty much injector wires, coil wires and crank sensor) since I'll be using megasquirt II to run the thing...not sure what I'm going to do with the coil-on-plug setup yet, if I can manage to keep it I will, otherwise I'll have to convert back to the EDIS8 setup from a 93-97 engine...as for my rear suspension...currently its stock...I plan on a heidts 4-link eventually, but thats down the road....the rear end is a 8.8" from an '84 lincoln w/ rear disc brakes(needs to be stripped down, cleaned up and painted, also needs new brake lines, maybe some 3.55 gears and a posilock)...in the end with an aggresive tune and maybe a cobra intake manifold, it should put out slightly better numbers than the cobra on an otherwise stock engine(doesnt hurt that my coupe also weighs 500lbs less than a sn95 cobra)

sounds like a good deal for that motor. It sounds like you have done your homework on this. I have recently dove in to this whole 4.6 idea. So I am still gathering info on how to do it. It appears that this has been done many times and is not to diffulcult. I am concerned about the wiring process. What do you think about the Painless harness? Is it worth the money?
I currently have a nice 66' coupe that is a GT 350 clone, hp 289, 351winsor heads, mild cam and demon carb, with 3.88 gears that I will have to let go to finance this project. So now it time to do somthing with efi and a different look.
Thats where the 4.6 comes in. I am planning TCI ( Total Cost Involved ) they make a rear system just for a convertible and a nice mustang 2 from end. I am not sure on the colors yet but it will have some type of stripes similar to my coupe or the super snake stripes I think they call them. Keep us posted on your progress and some pics.
Here is a pic of my clone now.

Attachments

• P7290019.jpg
    P7290019.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 137
I don't think i could sell a mustang to finance a project like this....though I did sell my 2.4 Turbo neon to finance it....I miss that car...just decided I would rather have the money in a car that I like better...as for the wiring....I'm rewiring the car from scratch...with a universal painless harness for the body...for the engine I will make my own harness....not to difficult if you understand EFI....my neon was on a custom harness...if you don't know EFI, its a headache to learn