Some 5.0 Advice: 3k to build

CazSN95

Jun 8, 2011
Alright, so I have a 95 GT, 5.0. It has roughly 215k miles on it (thats my estimation, true miles are unknown.) I have three thousand to put into the engine.

My question is, what would be the most worthwhile to do? For performance, I am wanting to do a 331 stroker kit and heads (possibly GT40). I want to get my moneys worth though and am curious to see what people here think. I want to avoid making rookie mistakes.

• Sponsors (?)

Alright, so I have a 95 GT, 5.0. It has roughly 215k miles on it (thats my estimation, true miles are unknown.) I have three thousand to put into the engine.

My question is, what would be the most worthwhile to do? For performance, I am wanting to do a 331 stroker kit and heads (possibly GT40). I want to get my moneys worth though and am curious to see what people here think. I want to avoid making rookie mistakes.

There is no point of adding cubes if you dont add a nice set of heads... gt40's wont cut it...

Your going to put 3k in to a bottom end to make well under 300hp...

Either rebuild the bottom end. Hone/0.030 Overbore and get a nice set of aluminum heads.

Or like already stated used explorer motor and a blower is probably the best way to go.

i'm with Adam. you're going to spend most of that money just in the bottom end and then have nothing left for a good top end. if the bottom end is a concern, then get either a explorer motor or have your's refreshed. Then get a nice top end kit for the remainder.

the old saying there is no replacement for displacement is still true, but only to an extent that you can utilize those added cubes. You can reach 350 on a properly built 302. besides, you might as well jump up to a 347 if your keeping it n/a. it's the same price.

Are you who I think you are?

So, if I dont want to get the explorer motor, your suggestion is to refresh the motor, hone/0.030 overbore and get a nice set of heads?

Another question, opinion on buying a crate engine for $3.5k?

crate engines are decent i guess but i would never do it myself. for that price you can build a lot better. if you want a turn key install then its good enough.

Highly doubt it. Never been a member here before and this is my first mustang.

OK the description sounded jsut like a buddy of mine that is just starting to mod. Weird.

Here is the best advice you will ever get when it comes to your car. Decide how much power to want first and then start planning around it. Not having a plan at the beginning makes the overall cost get out of control and in the end you still may not end up with either a mechanically sound car or exaclty what you want. I see you never said how much power you are looking for.

Without knowing your future goals, I'll take a stab and say that a good route might be to find a lower mileage shortblock that is ready to go. I got one for $250 out of a fox. Then get some OK heads, cam intake. Whatever you can get for a good price. Then buy a used blower in the next stage. Don't forget driveline stuff that needs to be done in there too.

OK the description sounded jsut like a buddy of mine that is just starting to mod. Weird.

Here is the best advice you will ever get when it comes to your car. Decide how much power to want first and then start planning around it. Not having a plan at the beginning makes the overall cost get out of control and in the end you still may not end up with either a mechanically sound car or exaclty what you want. I see you never said how much power you are looking for.

Without knowing your future goals, I'll take a stab and say that a good route might be to find a lower mileage shortblock that is ready to go. I got one for $250 out of a fox. Then get some OK heads, cam intake. Whatever you can get for a good price. Then buy a used blower in the next stage. Don't forget driveline stuff that needs to be done in there too.

What he said.:nice:

A rule of thumb when talking a foundation of NA 302 OEM
or
Same applies to an over bore 302 to 306 :D

You can get about 1 SAE RWHP per Cubic Inch with aftermarket
parts and if tuned ... it will have stock like driveability :)

We are talking about all necessary supporting parts like meter,
injs, yadda - yadda - yadda

I would look into what to expect with a blown combo :spot:

This method really gives a good bang for the buck spent :nice:

You can go with cheap OEM parts with a blower and make more
power than going NA with aftermarket parts :eek:

B U T ..................

A blower ain't for everybody ;)

Again ... you wanna get the straight facts about a blown combo :Word:

Grady

I'm looking for around 400-450 horsepower, thats my ultimate goal. And I am definitely planning before I do anything, I planned on beginning the build end of July. But, I've since begun to think that It might be best to get a lower mileage motor and build it as I get the money, so I am able to buy the best parts and not end up with something cheap because I have to get the motor running and then end up blowing something.

This way, I can take my time and end up with as a good a motor as I want. I found a 5.0 out of a 98 explorer with 91k on it, their asking $750. Havent looked at it yet. (He said it was a good motor, but I certainly don't trust him on his word).

i doubt you'll be able to build 400hp with a budget of 3k. if your motor was good right now then okay.

Turbo is going to be the better option. more cost than a blower but will get you closer to your goal in the end with less money. stock 5.0 motor with a bunch of boost will get you there for a while. probably not for too long but still get you there for a bit.

I"m assuming you're already considering all the other parts that are necessary to run 400-450 hp, such as transmission, brakes, some suspension work, etc.

I think your idea of picking up a stock exploder motor and building slowly, while still driving what you have is a good approach. Sort out your whole plan for the car, maybe you want to spend some of that 3k on helping get power to the ground, etc.

Budget isn't necessarily 3k, that was if I decided to redo my current motor and had to get it up and running fast. I'm strongly leaning towards rebuilding an explorer motor and doing it the right way; it'll be a slow build definitely, worth it in the end I think.

And yes husky, I'll be doing that stuff before the motor ever goes in. Last thing I want is to change motors and see $1500 worth of parts that need to be replaced.

Personally, I say buy either the explorer motor or a short block. Like you mentioned the guy selling the explorer motor, you would have to take his word on it's a good engine :shrug:. Shop around I'm sure there is junkyard in your state somewhere that guarantees their engine and has compression tests/ maybe a warranty.

Though buying a short block from late model restoration is a great foundation for the money. The economy short block for around 669.99 is fine for N/A and low boost applications (good tune), but I would up for the forged pistons if you wanted to run over 10psi. 1979-95 Mustang 5.0L 302 Economy Short Block, Accepts Roller Cam at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

I won't get into the top end debate of head/cam combos :rolleyes:. Just ask a lot of questions and the guys on here are very helpful. Good luck!

Side note: which coast are you on?