Some Advice For A Newbie

robsisco

Jul 10, 2013
Hello all,

I have a 2007 V6 Mustang. I am currently in need of new tires and figured I could use the excuse to add some style to my car. I don't know as much as I'd like about tires and wheels and suspension unfortunately. I was thinking about buying this wheel and tire combo: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com...ang-Flat-Black-SVE-Drift-Wheel-Nitto-Tire-Kit

After doing some reading, I figured it would look better if I lowered the car as well. I found these springs for an affordable price: http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-springs-0513gt.html

And after reading some threads about lowering your Stang, I learned I will need a panhard bar: http://www.americanmuscle.com/jm-panhard-0509.html and a set of camber bolts: http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach-proalign-bolts-0512.html?source=igodigital

I only use the vehicle for daily commutes to school and work, so I'm not really interested in spending a whole lot of money. What is everyone's opinion on these together?

• Sponsors (?)

depending on the drop, you may not need the camber bolts or panhard bar. Really depends on whether this will be strictly for aesthetics. If you'll be doing any sort of runs, whether they be straight ahead or road/canyon stuff, you want the camber and panhard gear. If you're sure it'll only be for DD use, and don't mind making two purchases, you can get the springs and take them to an alignment shop after install and ask if the camber bolts and panhard bar are needed.

Tthe SRs list a 1.5" drop on both ends. I'm not sure if the V6s are the same as the GTs in this sense, but the GT back end is higher than the front end, so an even drop would still leave you nose-down. I believe the Ford Racing and Eibach springs will give you 1" in the front and 1.5" in the back, evening your stance.

First, welcome!!! Post up pics of the car when you get time!

Wheels and tires not only enhance appearance, but they can make a great improvement in handling performance too. This is a great way to make your V6 a little quicker, and more fun to drive. That said, my advice would be to look at it as a complete suspension upgrade, not just "what do I have to do to make it look good."

I highly recommend a good lowering kit to go along with your wheels and tires, for a handling upgrade as well as an appearance upgrade. Lowering springs really change your suspension geometry; with the 3-link S197 rear, you're almost guaranteed to take your axle off-center if you don't fix your panhard bar after installing lowering springs. I haven't finished my suspension work yet, but have read that you can get away with lowering the front without having to do new camber hardware in many cases, which is different from older style Mustangs.

I'm not familiar with SR brand. They could be the new AM local hardware, which might mean they're made by one of the major aftermarket companies, and may be a good product. I can highly recommend Eibach springs; for a little more money, you're getting proven quality. The Ford Racing springs (at least for the 10-14s) are made by Eibach, as I understand it.

Let us know how else we can help!

Welcome!

From the sources I have read, you may want to find some springs that are many specifically for the V6 Mustangs, as the GT's have stiffer front springs, more weight, and they can allow for a minimal or no drop on the V6 Mustangs. FRPP, Eibach, Steeda, maybe H&R should have springs.

A drop of anything more than 1.5" will require some new shocks/struts too. But, as your car is an 07 depending on the mileage, you may be due for some new shocks/struts anyways. And yes, you will need an adjustable Panhard bar if you lower the car more than a certain amount.

The drift wheels are a very nice looking wheel, and are a nice break from the Bullitt and Cobra wheels on many other Mustangs. Just be fore warned, from personal experience, black wheels never stay clean:nonono:

Thank you all for your advice. I bought the wheels and am looking into different shocks and lowering springs before making any purchases. I believe my car is getting to the mileage where I will need to be getting new shocks so that seems like the perfect time to lower it.

I use the SR springs, they are Stack Racing springs. They dropped my rear 1 1/2 " & I only did the rear as I am waiting for my struts & shocks to wear to do the front. The handling is improved and with brackets I get better grip now.
tn_DSCN0079.JPG