Engine Some cooling questions

• Sponsors (?)

Got the sve radiator in today. It doesn’t come with the plugs for the auto cooler hose holes. The ones in my old rad broke off at the end and are stuck inside so I’m unable to transfer them. I read now though that you don’t even need to plug these holes. Is this true?

You will cry if you ever check the cost to recore one, $99 dollar parts store special with a lifetime warranty, mine out lasted pep boys. Bought mine back when 93 gas was 95 cents here so late 90s.
recore or as they say rod out is only $125 here in nevada.

A rod out is removing and cleaning the core/tubes, mostly late model crimped tanks. thats just labor cost, A recore is replacing a bad core between the end tanks, a brass copper core isn't cheap, neither is the labor when its a brazed unit at any place I checked. For $125 I'd recore one before buying a replacement.

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone tell me how you remove the drain petcock on these radiators. Mine is leaking from the wing nut looking things threads. I’m trying to take it off so I can wrap some Teflon tape around it but when I unscrew it all the way it just stops and won’t come out.

Can anyone tell me how you remove the drain petcock on these radiators. Mine is leaking from the wing nut looking things threads. I’m trying to take it off so I can wrap some Teflon tape around it but when I unscrew it all the way it just stops and won’t come out.
Are you unscrewing the wing nut? Or the hex nut under it to remove the valve. Wing nut just opens it to drain it.

Unscrew the outside.
39A7C2A8-AFFD-457A-84E8-AD4D6864C9AD.png

Reactions: 1 user
Are you unscrewing the wing nut? Or the hex nut under it to remove the valve. Wing nut just opens it to drain it.
Yea I’m unscrewing the wing nut. When it’s fully tightened in towards the radiator is when it allows coolant to drain out. But when I have it fully out away from the radiator or anywere between it has a constant drip. Also in the pic that’s as far as I can get it out with my hands. Is there something else I have to do to get it out besides twisting it or should I just put a wrench on it and twist it out? I don’t wanna break it so I haven’t tried the wrench yet but if that’s how it’s supposed to be done I will.

Attachments

• 68BF59C6-4C0A-4FAB-A8A9-A277D930A97F.jpeg
    68BF59C6-4C0A-4FAB-A8A9-A277D930A97F.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 46
If it still leaks from the wing nut fully tightened you need to replace it, there like $5 just need to match the thread pitch if that's the new sve one, tell lmr to send you a replacement

Last edited:
when valve is closed, it should not drip. Its a valve, the valve isnt sealing, you cant fix it, its a machinig error or a internal o ring, see the part with the Teflon tape and the hex nut, unscrew that and tell them to send you a replacement drain valve.