Somebody Screwed Up My Foxbody. Help!

SaskFoxBody

Apr 13, 2016
Alright fellow StangNet users, I need some advice. This one stumps me, I am at a loss for words and I need help diagnosing what the issue at hand is.

Firstly, a bit of background. My car is a 1988 GT 5-speed. Stock except 4.10 gears in the rear.

The car had a really hard time going into gear, and reverse was grinding... So I purchased the BBK Performance clutch cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster. I didn't have time to install it so I took it to a mechanic that I feel wasn't so knowledgeable...

He installed the cable/quadrant/firewall adjuster, and the car shifts good now. No more stuff shifts... But I am left with a whole-different issue......

THE CLUTCH IS NOW SLIPPING. How could this be?! It wasn't slipping before I brought him the car. I also noticed, there's a bit of slack at the top of the pedal now. A "dead spot"... Like the pedal has slack at the top before it start grabbing. I'm not sure if this is related to my issue, but I thought I'd mention it... As it didn't feel this way before. They also gave it back leaking gas... Guess they screwed up a gas line too.

Any ideas?!?!

• Sponsors (?)

Firewall adjuster is probably too tight.

Clutch pedal adjustment
Clutch pedal adjustment with aftermarket quadrant and cable: I like to have the clutch completely disengaged and still have about 1.5” travel left before the pedal hits the floor. This means that I have only about 1” of free play at the top before the pedal starts to disengage the clutch. Keep in mind that these figures are all approximate. When properly adjusted, there will not be any slack in the clutch cable. You will have 4-15 lbs preload on the clutch cable. With a non adjustable cable and a firewall adjuster, the cable needs to go in the second hook of the quadrant. Single hook quadrants used with a firewall adjuster may make the clutch too tight, causing it to slip. The possible exception to this is the Maximum Motorsports cable which is a bit longer to make it work with a single hook quadrant.

Firewall adjuster tips
Turning the firewall adjuster IN makes the engagement point closer to the floor since it loosens the cable. You have to push the pedal to the floor to disengage the clutch. Too loose a cable and the clutch won't completely disengage and shifting will be difficult. Gears will grind and you may have difficulty getting the transmission in first gear when stopped.

Turning the firewall adjuster OUT makes the engagement point farther from the floor since it tightens the cable. You push a short distance to disengage the clutch. Too tight a cable will cause clutch slippage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user