Sometimes hard to shift into third...

Drew0318

Aug 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
Drove the car this weekend (first time in a week...), got on it a bit, got to 3rd and it didn't want to slot in very easily.

I've noticed this a couple times recently. Granted, it's only when driving "spirited", but I'm guessing it shouldn't do it.

Is this a sign of bad things to come, is it something "easy" to fix?

I'll probably only have the car out for another month or so, before it goes back to it's cave for the winter.

If it's something that isn't "critical" (as in, "going to break and leave me SOL on the side of the road"), I'll mess with it over the winter when it's stationary.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

It's a '99 S281, not sure which tranny it has (off hand, I'll have to look for sure). It's got 17500 on it and has the stock shifter (from Saleen, don't know if that's different than a regular GT's or not).

As for fluid, well...I just got the thing a little over a year ago. I've only put about 1500 on it, so I haven't checked it (probably should). I'm friends with the previous owner, maybe he knows.

The issue just started about 100 miles ago. Sometimes when playing hard, it doesn't like to go into 3rd. When it did it yesterday, I wasn't even kicking it in the ribs.

Edit: According to this http://www.americanmuscle.com/transmission-tag-identifier.html

It has the T-45 in it.