Sound quality compared to Mach 460?

LCGimp

Founding Member
Jan 10, 2002
Oregon City, OR
I am looking at getting a Pioneer D3 nav unit in my 01 mustang. What I am wondering is if it is worth it to put new speakers and amps in at the same time. Would I notice much of a difference in how the system sounds if I put in some decent speakers? I wouldnt want to spend more then about $200 total on speakers. I should already have the amps I would need because a friend sold me his old ones for pretty cheap. I currently have the Mach 460 with a 10" Diamond sub in the trunk.

• Sponsors (?)

I would say yes, it would be worth it. You can get a set of used Boston Acoustic Pro Series 6.5's on ebay for around 120, then mybe some Boston Rally series coax for the rears, that would make it about 200. What amps are you gonna use? I think you will notice a pretty big difference. The 460 is a pretty decent stock system, but can't really compare w/ the higher quality aftermarket stuff. How's the one 10 sound? I havent had a stereo in a while and just picked up a jl 10w3 I'm gonna put in. ThenI'll go the used Boston Pro route.

I just installed a D3 in my 01 a few weeks ago. I added bass blockers and all, worked great. I get no popping or anything.

One thing I have noticed is that I have a little less bass. That's probably because I have the HPF (?) set to 80. I could set it lower and get more bass, but I didn't want to chance blowing the factory speakers until I had some new ones to replace them with.

I plan on getting a Infiniti bass link sometime

It's a great unit. If you have any questions on it, let me know. I will say this, it takes some time to "learn" or calibrate the GPS part. Don't be surprised if it puts you on the wrong road the first day or so