Spare Tire Originality

mannymendez25

Feb 12, 2015
Four years ago I purchased my first Mustang. Its a 92, LX 5.0 Convertible with 41K miles. The car is impeccable. I ordered the Marti report and based on the report, there were only 8 cars configured exactly like mine. This could be a special car in the future so I decided to look for the build sheet. While in the trunk I noticed that the spare tire looks like it has never been used. It has all the markings. Is there a way I can tell if this is the original spare?

Attachments

• Spare Tire.jpg
    Spare Tire.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 121
  • Marti Report without VIN.jpg
    Marti Report without VIN.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Sponsors (?)

With those low miles, I would have no reason to doubt it isn’t. My car has 122k and my spare tire looks nearly unused. As far as officially knowing for sure, I don’t know that there is a VIN stamp on the wheel anywhere to match up.

Date code on the spare? I forget when they stared adding them. Also look at the engineering codes on the stickers. If any are "F3" or later, it's original.

But spares are rarely used and that is the design of the oem spare. I don't think any prospective buyer is going to look that closely anyway unless this is a concours restoration.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that its not going to add much value to the car if and when I resell it however Its cool that the car still has the original air box and silencer, original radio and original dated spark plug wires, and unused spare. Attached are a few pics. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 20160730_125413.jpg
    20160730_125413.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 109