Speed/Power Shifting

SpazHairlip

Jun 13, 2005
Ok, I’m going to admit to not spending much time at the tracks or racing with any of my cars, just sort of goof around stuff. But I’ve been reading a lot of posts that make comments about speed shifting and power shifting, and I was hoping that someone could explain what they are and how they are done (on a 2005 GT for example).

My understanding is that power shifting is just mashing gears without using the clutch and, speed shifting is only feathering the clutch? Can I get some big brain answers on this and pros and cons as well?

• Sponsors (?)

Ok grasshopper, listen up. Powershifting is something that takes practice and paitience to get good at, and know this. YOU CAN DESTROY A TRANSMISSION OR ENGINE DOING IT. The way that I was taught to do it, and still do it to this day is. As you are accelerating with the pedal to the floor, and shortly before you reach redline, say 400 to 600 rpm's before, stab the clutch as quickly as you can, while not releasing the gas pedal, and simply grab the next gear (in one motion). Sounds easy, however you can miss a shift if not done correctly and either grind, or severly over rev the engine. So for safety sake, do it at lower rpm for awhile until you get good at it. Done correctly, you could in theory shave a couple of thenths off your 1/4 mile numbers. :nice:

Wiredawg1 said:
Ok grasshopper, listen up. Powershifting is something that takes practice and paitience to get good at, and know this. YOU CAN DESTROY A TRANSMISSION OR ENGINE DOING IT. The way that I was taught to do it, and still do it to this day is. As you are accelerating with the pedal to the floor, and shortly before you reach redline, say 400 to 600 rpm's before, stab the clutch as quickly as you can, while not releasing the gas pedal, and simply grab the next gear (in one motion). Sounds easy, however you can miss a shift if not done correctly and either grind, or severly over rev the engine. So for safety sake, do it at lower rpm for awhile until you get good at it. Done correctly, you could in theory shave a couple of thenths off your 1/4 mile numbers. :nice:
You absolutely smoke your clutch with repeated use like this. But thats a cheap fix!!