• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Speedo Cable & Gear

  • Thread starter Thread starter stang22
  • Start date Start date Oct 24, 2015

stang22

Active Member
Jan 29, 2003
1,318
7
38
Washington, D.C.
Oct 24, 2015
#1
  • Oct 24, 2015
  • #1
I need to replace the throttle cable and gear in my '66, but not sure what gear (number of teeth) to get. 3 speed manual with a 3.00:1 differential gear and 225X17 wheels. I suppose the speed doesn't have to be spot on, but I'd like to be close to what I am really going. Any thoughts on the number of teeth/gear I should get.

Tim
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
Oct 26, 2015
#2
  • Oct 26, 2015
  • #2
You can use a calculator tool like this one to figure it out:
Speedometer Gear Calculator | GTSparkplugs

There are some Ford specific ones but I don't have my bookmarks in front of me.
 

tos

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2001
896
68
59
Cincinnati Ohio
Oct 28, 2015
#3
  • Oct 28, 2015
  • #3
I have 370 gears, switched from original 4 speed to a Ford racing T-5 running 17 inch wheels and kept my original spedo gear. I tested it pacing another car and using my GPS speed and it was within a couple MPH. If you haven't tested it yet I would suggest doing that first.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Drivetrain Broken clutch cable- what it looks like
  • JulianR
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
639
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 10, 2026
gkomo
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
216
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
Removing speedo cable from the VSS
  • 91AOD5.0LX
  • Mar 25, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 25, 2026
91AOD5.0LX
Drivetrain Speedo gear ate itself
  • keel
  • Aug 15, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
783
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 15, 2024
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?