Spray paint for "black textured finish" look?

85_SS_302_Coupe

it sucks (I know) to be on the receiving end
15 Year Member
Nov 11, 2003
Northern KY
Does anyone know if there's a paint out there that will mimic the look of the black Ford Racing valve covers that have that rough texture to them? I'm thinking about doing my stock valve covers.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm thinking Dupli Color makes it.....either that or i was thinking of even using truck bed liner spray...my buddy used some on his inner fender wells and it isn't as rough as Rhino Lining, it really wasn't very rough at all but it's a little more flat black than i want.

Krylon makes a "crinkle" paint that might look pretty close. I've seen it at Wal-Mart in the paint department, along with a few other similar kinds that might also work. Don't know how well it'll hold up to heat, though... :shrug:

I work at a Harley dealership and we have a couple different types of wrinkle finish paint. They're just different textures. They both stand up to high heat very well and would be fine on valve covers. The finish is excellent if shaken well and applied properly. Unfortunately they're like $10 a can because it says Harley on it, so you probably want to use this as your last resort. You can find it at any Harley dealership.

I work at a Harley dealership and we have a couple different types of wrinkle finish paint. They're just different textures. They both stand up to high heat very well and would be fine on valve covers. The finish is excellent if shaken well and applied properly. Unfortunately they're like $10 a can because it says Harley on it, so you probably want to use this as your last resort. You can find it at any Harley dealership.

Can you get me more info on this? I wouldn't need more than 2 cans.

get some semi flat black...a bag of sand...lay a base coat...let it tach up one more cost wait about 3-4 mins...spinkle sand over it...lay 3-4 more coats on.....

we did this last year came out great BUT....this was on nonthing that heated up so im not sure how it would hold up on valve covers.

get some semi flat black...a bag of sand...lay a base coat...let it tach up one more cost wait about 3-4 mins...spinkle sand over it...lay 3-4 more coats on.....

we did this last year came out great BUT....this was on nonthing that heated up so im not sure how it would hold up on valve covers.

Yeah and having something loose inside the paint might promote chipping...i dunno. I'm probably going to go with bedliner spray if i don't find anything at Harley like blackened88lx mentioned.

Yeah and having something loose inside the paint might promote chipping...i dunno. I'm probably going to go with bedliner spray if i don't find anything at Harley like blackened88lx mentioned.

it been fine since we did it..but like i said...its just room temp.... i think im gonna try it again in the morning and see how it comes out....ill post pics.

the dodge guys on my srt forum are always doing things like this, just search for wrinkle black paint

heres some shots
sexy_bitch%20059.jpg

sexy_bitch%20054.jpg

4pjcppc.jpg

sexy_bitch%20043.jpg

ValveCover2.jpg

wMTA1MjM2NTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

pcitems012.jpg

pcitems011.jpg

pcitems008.jpg

pcitems004.jpg

pcitems003.jpg