Stang not always wanting to start

Eos

Oh Heather Oh yeah... I want your pink taco
Jun 13, 2003
oklahoma
Okay so this has happend 3 times recently. The first time I was at a gas station and I had just drivin the car a good 30 miles. I got in to start it up and it wouldn't start. It tried to turn over but just wouldnt. So I had someone jump it and the moment we put the cables on it started right up. The 2nd time it happened at my friends house, after it had been drivin about 50 miles. Same thing happened, this time we didn't jump it we just tried to start it from a roll. This wasn't too successful but after a few minutes it just started. And last night I went to get in it and went to start it. It was doing the same thing, only this time I was just like "oh im not dealing with this again" lol So I just pumped the gas a lot and finally it started after a few pumps. I don't think it has anything to do with the starter, it better not the starter is new. :rolleyes: And I don't think it can be my battery because the lights come on, the engine just won't turn over. I was wondering if possibly the carb is getting flooded out or something of that nature? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Except for your last example, I think your starter may be getting too hot, and so it doesn't want to turn over? I can't remember its name, I think it's "heat soak" or something like that. That's what it seems like to me.

I know my car doesn't want to start back up after a long drive, especially with my headers. I think I may buy a starter shield for it. Block off some of the heat.

fastmustangII said:
.... It was doing the same thing, only this time I was just like "oh im not dealing with this again" lol So I just pumped the gas a lot and finally it started after a few pumps.

I'm not imoplying anything , you do know you have to hit the 'gas' to put fuel in the engine?

EFI has been around so long people forget how carbed engines work. We had one guy posting that his II wouldn't start or idle when cold. Turns out he didn't realize the throttle had to be opened for the high idle cam to drop into position and allow the choke plate to close.

This only happens when it's hot?

Off the top of my head I can think of several things, from the common to the bizzare.

The fuel could be boiling out of the bowl, the engine has to be cranked to refill the bowls (and the pedal would need pumped to priome the engine) or the float valve could be seaping making the engine rich.

It could be the ignition module (pick up) in the distributer, These don't fail that often, sort of, but when they do they tend to fail intermittantly. They get hot , the wires expand breaking connection, but not always. I hate intermittant electrical faults.

Quick test for this is to carry an old spark plug withthe electrode either opened up or removed. When the car doesn't want to start pull the coil wire from the cap, put the plub in the wire and lay it against the block/intake. Have someone turn the engine over. If the spark is nice and blue and healthy ignition probably isn't the problem.

Probably.

Could be a coincidence, as in the engine shaking a certin way when it's shut off breaking an electrical connection. Could take vibration from a starter to re make contact. It happens.

It's going to take better observation of what's going on under the hood.

Wart said:
I'm not imoplying anything , you do know you have to hit the 'gas' to put fuel in the engine?

EFI has been around so long people forget how carbed engines work. We had one guy posting that his II wouldn't start or idle when cold. Turns out he didn't realize the throttle had to be opened for the high idle cam to drop into position and allow the choke plate to close.

This only happens when it's hot?

Off the top of my head I can think of several things, from the common to the bizzare.

The fuel could be boiling out of the bowl, the engine has to be cranked to refill the bowls (and the pedal would need pumped to priome the engine) or the float valve could be seaping making the engine rich.

It could be the ignition module (pick up) in the distributer, These don't fail that often, sort of, but when they do they tend to fail intermittantly. They get hot , the wires expand breaking connection, but not always. I hate intermittant electrical faults.

Quick test for this is to carry an old spark plug withthe electrode either opened up or removed. When the car doesn't want to start pull the coil wire from the cap, put the plub in the wire and lay it against the block/intake. Have someone turn the engine over. If the spark is nice and blue and healthy ignition probably isn't the problem.

Probably.

Could be a coincidence, as in the engine shaking a certin way when it's shut off breaking an electrical connection. Could take vibration from a starter to re make contact. It happens.

It's going to take better observation of what's going on under the hood.

Yep, I know to give it gas when I start it. ;) lol I do that with all cars. My dad was thinking it might have something to do with the choke on the carberator. And you mentioned something about it running rich, and I think it has been running rich anyway so that could have something to do with it.