Stang starts hard when cold?

zman1973

Jul 31, 2006
Hello Stang people, Stang (1989 LX nocthback 5.0) is sometimes acting funny at cold start up, although once it started hard after 1/2 hour of driving. (Smelled gas) I changed the fuel filter by the tank, put fuel injector cleaner in it and it was ok for a couple of days. (Thought I solved the problem) It's back, not as rough but Rpm is at 9 goes to 4 and goes back up and repeats. What makes it better is I try to get a steady idle and sometimes the rpms will go up and down without me moving the peddle. After car is warmed up a bit and when I get a steady, steady idle I can start my trip with no problems. Weather here in New York is starting to get cold and I think it may be a chock problem. If it is the automatic chock, where is it located? Car is always kept in great shape mechanically and cosmetically. Any input? Can't seem to figure out what’s wrong. Gas pump was changed less than a year ago. Thank you. T

• Sponsors (?)

attempt to pull codes, you can see how to do that in the link below or have an autoparts store pull them its usually free, call an find on that can pull them for you and pay them a visit then post codes recieved in this thread...click on the site below which has some good tips on how to solve idle problems (and alot of other good info) under solving problems perform part1---part5..also you may need a tune up how long has it been since your last one??????
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/maintain.php

No info about if your car's carb or EFI, or any mods you may have.

That's why it is a good idea to use the sig under the user control panel (User CP) option. It allows you to post your car year & mods, which help greatly when troubleshooting things. No, it is not there for us to snoop and see any "Secrets" you have hidden away under the hood. Be a good stangnetter and update you sig for future reference & don't keep us guessing.

It sounds like a solution would be to move to Florida. :D

Good posts above :nice: More info and notification of codes you pull will help.

Good luck.