Stang won't start help please

Stanggrl95

Aug 17, 2003
San Diego
Hi Stangnet,

My boyfriend and I had the battery tested and that was fine. The alternator is fairly new. It starts when you move the shifter into nuertal. My boyfriend said it might be the TR sensor, any other ideas from here? Thanks ~ Nicole

• Sponsors (?)

Stanggrl95 said:
Hi Stangnet,

My boyfriend and I had the battery tested and that was fine. The alternator is fairly new. It starts when you move the shifter into nuertal. My boyfriend said it might be the TR sensor, any other ideas from here? Thanks ~ Nicole

You are going to have to ellaborate a little on this. What you mean is that when the shifter is in park, and you turn the key to start, absolutely nothing happens? Or does the starter crank but the engine won't start running?

I assume what you mean is that the car starts just fine when the shifter is in neutral, but when in park, it won't. Whatever the car uses to determine the shifters position is likely bad, or the connections to it..

But I own a 5spd and I don't have a clue about that. Please ellaborate on your situation so we can understand your problem more clearly.
Scott

If the car starts fine everytime while in neutral it's not going to be the battery or alternator. I don't know what its call, but there is a safety device in the shifter or tranny that must be fully enganged while the shift selector is in park... otherwise it won't start just like you can't start the car in drive or reverse.

I think there is an actual cable which is part of the starter interlock. Adjusting the cable can fix this.

Above info is spot on - if it starts at some point, some-how, the primary systems are very likely all-go. It is a control issue (starter interlock).

Good luck.

mo_dingo said:
Wow, that is crazy. I figured there would be some electronic module or something. How strange...
There is, its called a neutral safety start switch.

I'm guessing this problem is in an auto because I didnt see anything under the shifter in my car when I took the trans out so I have no idea on how to fix the problem.

1105 said:
There is, its called a neutral safety start switch.

I'm guessing this problem is in an auto because I didnt see anything under the shifter in my car when I took the trans out so I have no idea on how to fix the problem.

Hello,
The book states: "The AODE and 4R70W transmissions used on these vehicles do not have a neutral start switch. That funtion had been incorporated into an information sensor known as the Transmission Range (TR) sensor". So im thinking on replacing that sensor, what do you guys think?

mo_dingo said:
You are going to have to ellaborate a little on this. What you mean is that when the shifter is in park, and you turn the key to start, absolutely nothing happens? Or does the starter crank but the engine won't start running?

I assume what you mean is that the car starts just fine when the shifter is in neutral, but when in park, it won't. Whatever the car uses to determine the shifters position is likely bad, or the connections to it..

But I own a 5spd and I don't have a clue about that. Please ellaborate on your situation so we can understand your problem more clearly.
Scott

Yes, thats exactly what I am trying to explain.

I can't help, but throwing parts at it might not help. There must be some way to test it. Where is this transmission range sensor? The manual should say.

How many wires does it have at it's connector. If it's 2, then it might be a simple thing like one wire is hot all the time, and the other is only hot when it's in neutral. Or maybe it's 5 or 6 wires, a wire for each position. Who knows.

See if you can find it and post back. That is the only thing I can suggest for now b/c I have a 5spd and no info on this.
Scott