• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Starter bolts

  • Thread starter Thread starter Edbert
  • Start date Start date Apr 2, 2005

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Apr 2, 2005
#1
  • Apr 2, 2005
  • #1
I know, I'm an idiot for losing them, as well as lazy for not trying out a hundred or so of the ones in the big box-o-spare-bolts, so spare me the comments please

Does anyone know the size of the bolts that hold on the starter motor for a Windsor engine?
 
T

TOM B

20+ Year Stangneter
Nov 15, 2002
872
1
18
Harrisburg Pa
Apr 2, 2005
#2
  • Apr 2, 2005
  • #2
I think there 5/16x1-1/4
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Apr 2, 2005
#3
  • Apr 2, 2005
  • #3
TOM B said:
I think there 5/16x1-1/4
Click to expand...
Nope. they're 3/8"x 1-1/4. They have 1/2" heads.
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Apr 3, 2005
#4
  • Apr 3, 2005
  • #4
I'm going down to the local home-improvement warehouse to look through their grade-8 bins (I know those are overkill but don't care). Do you happen to know the thread pitch? SHould I use lock washers or flats or both?

Also, this is for a 351W, they are the same as the 289/302/5.0 right?
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Apr 3, 2005
#5
  • Apr 3, 2005
  • #5
Threads are NC ( National Course) Lock washers, definately. All small blocks used the same starter bolts.
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Apr 4, 2005
#6
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #6
The set I bought fit fine, thanks guys!

FWIW, the labeling called the thread pitch a "16", which I think means 16 per inch.

Also, to flesh out the tech here...do Clevelands and FEs use the same starter bolts?
 
D

D.Hearne

New Member
Sep 29, 2000
11,730
6
0
south louisiana
Apr 4, 2005
#7
  • Apr 4, 2005
  • #7
Not sure, but I believe the FE bolts are 5/16NC.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Cobra Brake Conversion - Spare Wheel/Tire Search
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
409
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 2, 2026
AeroCoupe
Fox Jump/start - Charging
  • PonyGTrider
  • Oct 12, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
609
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Oct 13, 2025
PonyGTrider
R
Flex plate and starter issues
  • RJH46
  • Jun 24, 2025
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
19
Views
1K
Other Auto Tech Aug 19, 2025
nickyb
H
Ongoing Battle With Hydraulic Lifters
  • hailer06
  • Jun 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
7
Views
466
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 9, 2026
Noobz347
E
1986 Convertable 5.0 GT
  • eneerg
  • Sep 24, 2025
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
4
Views
313
The Welcome Wagon Sep 24, 2025
Noobz347
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?