starter circuit wiring... electrical gurus HELP

Black_Mustang

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
St Louis MO
bought a 88 gt for real cheap, real good car but the guy did some strange rigging to the wiring....its not that bad, and it still works, but im kind of anal about stuff like that and i want it done the right way. its only with the stereo (which i can handle) and the starter circuit, he rigged up what appears to be a crappy wire jumped from the clutch switch to the solenoid. still works like its supposed to but i cant figure out why he did it so i want to hook it up the right way and then diagnose/replace what i have to. the solenoid black boot plug is a red wire with blue stripe that splices (looks like factory)? into a tan wire inside the loom that goes inside...could anyone take a look at these pictures and maybe shed some light on what/where they go? on the clutch switch the two red wires were cut and one had the jumper going to the solenoid. If more info or pics are needed i have it but thanks to all that helps!

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Sponsors (?)

I wasn't sure I followed. Was the reason for the car's wiring being hacked just to bypass the clutch safety switch? If so, you could check your switch (continuity test with the plunger retracted) to ensure it will close properly. Then hook the wires back-up to their original state. The very right portion of the diagram that JRichker posted shows the clutch safety switch.

I have not traced the S-terminal wire but see no reason why it would not stay red/lt blue in its entire run from the output of the CSS to the solenoid.

Good luck.

i probably wasnt too clear, after talking with another long time stanger, he seems to think there was an alarm of some sort and thats how he bypassed it...im sure cause the remote was lost, i had one on my first 88 as well. sure enough the s wire looks to be taped into a tan wire about 6 inches from the solenoid that goes inside (the joint looks VERY old)...i have not traced any of it yet so im still a little vague on it. its not a big thing, he didnt completely hack it apart or anything for the most part, just unplugged the one side of the clutch switch, twisted on a wire and ran it straight to the solenoid. i just want it done right. im sure ill get it straightened out, i could have just left it alone cause it worked that way but i cant do that :eek: