starter question 1999 4.6 GT

mr-mike

Jul 9, 2006
being I have passed the 150,000 mark I started to change some parts after my fuel pump went bad , I change the oil every 2,000 miles always with a filter ...fuel filter every 6 months front brake pads every year I also grease the non geasable fittings with a hyper needle with the grease gun also the rack & pinnion fluid once a year every 25,000 tranny & filter change I just put a new battery even though it was good 7 years old , tires while still pretty good they had 35,000 but got a good deal so I put a new set of tires.... I do take long trips just finished a 1400 mile trip so I always feel confident ..... well I know I am rambling but anyone have a idea of the starter life on the on the GT 4.6 I also heard they are hard to get out & I'm a lot older so I dont think I'm up to doing it on back ..... I have a mechanic & no problem to have a new one put in .... any good places to get a real Ford one I refuse to buy China junk I dont even trust rebuilt anymore .....thanks for any help

• Sponsors (?)

You must be your mechanics favorite customer! I just think you are going a bit overboard the preventative maintenance thing. Starters in these cars seem pretty reliable, but if you insist on wasting your money, it looks like you can still buy a new Ford starter from Ford. As for replacing it, the top bolt isn't that bad to get to if you have plenty of extensions to route through the K-member. A U joint in your series of extensions might help too. I just think it isn't useful to replace the starter, especially where you add miles during long trips. If you were delivering pizzas and stopped your engine at every delivery and pick up, it might be different...

You are simply wasting your money changing the oil and brake pads so often. My car has gotten an oil change (synthetic) every 7000 miles, 2 replacement sets of front brake pads and one new fuel filter... so far so good with 173k miles (car has been in the family since it had 40k miles). If you are curious about what has broken on mine after the 150k mile mark... the fan motor burnt up, and one of the front wheel bearings (hubs) got a bit loose. Neither left me on the side of the road. Otherwise, it has been all normal maintenance, like replacing the spark plugs once every ~70k miles, brake pads when they start looking thin, and struts/shocks.

thanks

thanks for the fast reply most of the work I have done some with my older son I never think of any of it as a waste of money or time I enjoy working on my car I have a guy who lets me use his lift ...oil I use Wallmart Synthetic I have seen the non grease fittings go bad with the bad economy I wont be buying anything any time soon gas they say will go up sure you can go 7,000 or more with the oil but for $17 a jug its a cheap price ! most guys never grease a ball joint till they snap & the tire falls into the wheel well .... I was in the Army & they made us completely strip all the battery's out of all trucks even Jeeps some had 5 batterys clean & repaint the trays grease the fittings some had over a dozen fittings in the front alone ..... that was in the 60's it was called PM ... they drilled into how important it was I quess I never forgot it in Vietnam the trucks took some beating but were well built of course the PM was not done so often ....... I'm retired now & like I said I like working on my own car the cheap front pads burn up quick but it beats changing rotors , funny I looked around to see if I could get a made in the USA starter Bosche & all the others are made in China , Mexico , India ...its no wonder we are in such a jam ..... if anyone reads this let me know if anyone makes a american starter ? one guy said Ford uses Mexican starters in Motorcraft boxes ? I dont know if thats true ..........

That's a good enough reason right there. :)

thanks for the fast reply most of the work I have done some with my older son I never think of any of it as a waste of money or time

I've never heard about where ford starters come from, but I would not be surprised if it is from out of the country. After all, domestic manufactures are using a not-small percentage of foreign made parts during production. Either way, I'd feel confident installing a Ford starter, no matter where it came from. It is OEM equipment and seemed to last well so far, right?