Steeda 90mm CAI/MAF and the Xcal or Pred tune

SpazHairlip

Jun 13, 2005
Ok, I just got off the phone with a rep from Steeda because I wanted to pick up their CAI. Well it appears that the new CAI is 90mm MAF not 83mm, and the Diab Pred does not carry a tune for it. The Xcal2 however does. As I was talking to the rep, he said that they should be coming in stock today, but he wasn’t able to tell me a whole lot about the differences between Xcal2 and Diab Pred. I got the impression from him that the Pred was better, however they will not have a tune for the 90mm Steeda for some time.

If I wanted to get the new CAI, I’d have to get the Xcal2 to tune it. I asked the guy if it did other things like change the rev limiter, remove the torque management, etc, but he didn’t think it did the same sort of things as the Diab Pred.

Can anyone give me some input on the Xcal2 and what it is good for, and if you can the new 90mm CAI from Steeda as well.

• Sponsors (?)

SpazHairlip said:
Ok, I just got off the phone with a rep from Steeda because I wanted to pick up their CAI. Well it appears that the new CAI is 90mm MAF not 83mm, and the Diab Pred does not carry a tune for it. The Xcal2 however does. As I was talking to the rep, he said that they should be coming in stock today, but he wasn’t able to tell me a whole lot about the differences between Xcal2 and Diab Pred. I got the impression from him that the Pred was better, however they will not have a tune for the 90mm Steeda for some time.

If I wanted to get the new CAI, I’d have to get the Xcal2 to tune it. I asked the guy if it did other things like change the rev limiter, remove the torque management, etc, but he didn’t think it did the same sort of things as the Diab Pred.

Can anyone give me some input on the Xcal2 and what it is good for, and if you can the new 90mm CAI from Steeda as well.

I ran into the exact same problem as you but no one bothered telling me that Steeda changed the size of the MAF housing for like 3 weeks after purchasing it :bang: . I also thought that the Predator was better at first, but I found out that my tuner uses Xcals to tune cars so I am switching. I am currently working on selling my Predator so that I can recoupe some of the money I spent on it and it won't be as bad when I buy the Xcal2.

So you have the Steeda CAI installed but you didn't tune the car with the pred, or did you have it dyno tuned? If you didn't tune for the Steeda yet, did you notice any change in performance with just the CAI and no tune?

I tuned with the Pred using the Steeda tune from DiabloSport's site. The only problem was that Steeda was originally using a 85mm MAF housing and now it is 90mm. When trying to solve the problem no one at DiabloSport bothered telling me that I probably had the newer CAI and that they were working on a new tune, so that kind of pissed me off. Anyways, this is the one mod I could definately feel a good deal more power, the only problem was my CEL would always come on since I was running lean. The standard performance tune does make the car more powerful, but it is a big difference with the CAI on. I can't wait until I get my car tuned so that I can put the CAI back on since it really did make a big difference.

I have the XCal2 and had the Steeda 85mm maf/CAI. I just switched out the maf to the 90mm. Much better. The 90mm is supposed to add 4rwhp/4rwtq. I haven't been back to the dyno since the 313rwhp/327rwtq dyno pulls. Some say the Predator is just a little easier for the end user. I haven't had any problems with my XCal2. I don't think it's been difficult at all. I think it's great. I'm just waiting on my wideband to accurately datalog. I will be able to modify anything in my tune. With the XCal2, I will also be able to email my tune and datalogging to anyone in the nation and have corrections made to the tune, simply load it back in. I have a buddy that has the 90mm Steeda CAI and the Diablo, but had to switch to the 85mm maf. End user's will say the Diablo is easier to use and the tuner's will say they are easier for the end user to use, but the tuner's have more control with the SCT and the SCT is a little ahead of Diablo with having tunes for certain mods. Diablo has been quick to jump on tuning for the blower's and such, but I think SCT has a better grip on things. My opinion!