Steeda Tri-axe Shifter problems shifting into gear

vcustang

Sep 30, 2003
Richmond, VA
I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this but I seem to have trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd after I installed the Triaxe shifter. It doesn’t want to shift into gear when the engine is either at WOT or above 4500 rmps (shifting from second to third). This is a problem because I like to go to the drag strip and when I am running it hard, trying to put it in 3rd gear takes a couple of seconds. I have to try to force it in there 2 or 3 times before it actually goes in: it’s killing my QM. However when there is no pressure on the engine or driving normally it has no problem going into gear. I am unsure as to why its only from 2 to 3, no other gears. Didn’t know if anyone else had this problem or maybe had a solution?

• Sponsors (?)

The two things I'd look at would be:

1) Is the shifter stop for 3rd gear set to the correct gap (.010)? Some people accidentally set the gap in first gear insead of 3rd. I used a feeler gage to adjust my 2nd and 3rd gear stop gaps.

2) Is your clutch fully disengaging?

Keep in mind that this shifter is designed to go from 2nd to 3rd automatically. If you grip the shifter too tightly when making this shift you're likely to influence it to hit the bump between 3rd and 5th (out of habit from the stock shifter). I did this numerous times when I first got mine. The solution for me was to release my death grip on the shifter and push it straight forward with my palm as hard as I can with my hand sideways. This has worked flawlessly ever since and I always powershift. That is when my rear end isn't grenaded . . .