Steeda UDP's 2001-2004

Burtonsnow157

Dec 16, 2007
I've been looking around at other bolt on parts that i can install myself and i was looking at the Steeda udp kit on american muscle. Its only 189 minus discount, and seems like its pretty easy to install.

I was just wondering a few things about the part before i went ahead and bought it in the future.

1.) they say its balanced and developed in partnership with ford and dampens correctly so does that mean it is totally safe (heard of cheaper pulleys being not so good for engines)

2.) how much of a gain would i notice? rwhp? sotp, both?

3.) it definitely voids warranty right? (not that mine isnt technically voided anyway)

• Sponsors (?)

Look at the SLP UDP's at slpshop.com. They look exactly the same as the Steeda's but they are on sale now for 120.00. The Steeda's have an SFI approved dampner. The cheaper one's are a piggyback style. I have heard they are worth 7-8 rwhp. BTW the Sonata's have 240HP. I drove one and they are no slouch. The Saab I have no idea. It could be turbocharged.

do it your self..... its simple

yeah thats true, i just probably have to take the alternator to like pep boys or something cause i dont have an impact wrench, i do have a torque wrench and breaker bar so im good with those though. also gunna need to buy or rent a pulley puller from pepboys

Just be carefull with the pulley puller. Just keep everything nice and square. If you get crooked, back it off and start over. You don't want to strip anything or break a bolt in the crank.

I don't know how it can't be that easy? I have done several of these on both auto and 5 speed cars. I used and small 3/8 impact for the water pump pulley, and for the alternator, I used a regular impact gun. Make sure you are careful putting the alternator pulley back on (some kits come with spacers). Don't over tighten it. As SVT32VDOHC said, make sure the pulley puller is on good and straight and don't rush. You may need to use the impact gun to break the bolt on the crank loose. After that, finish it off by hand. When removing/installing the pulleys I removed the electric fan. It took and extra 10 minutes total but it gave me so much more room I needed to work with. Whatever you do, don't use a jaw type puller to remove your old crank. Install everything in reverse order using a dab of RTV on the key on the crank and you should be good to go. If you need any more help shoot me a PM.

It may damage the pulley where it comes in contact with it. I use the kind that screws into the 3 holes on the pulley. The same 3 holes you would use if using a piggy back style pulley. IMO I think it's safer and removes the possibility or damaging the lip or any of the ribs of the pulley.

You might also want to get a new crankshaft bolt as I believe it's a torque-to-yield style (correct me if I am wrong). If you re-use the stocker it can stretch, weaken, break off inside, and then you've got problems...

I have to buy a new 18v impact wrench - that stupid bolt pwnd by current electric impact wrench. I used the PB blaster and everything, I may take out the fan unit AND radiator tomorrow and try again. This harmonic balancer removal has been the biggest pain in my ass as far as stang upgrades go. Wish I had a manual trans now :(

I have to buy a new 18v impact wrench - that stupid bolt pwnd by current electric impact wrench.

lol "pwned." im gunna bust out the breaker bar and some wd-40 and hopefully that will break it loose, i have a 5 spd so im pretty sure i'm fine with that. i checked with pepboys and they said they would take care of the alternator pulley for free.

you have to line up the grooves on the alternator pulley on a table and figure out the correct spacer to use right?

I just had a buddy hold the harmonic balancer still while i was cranking on the bolt and it broke loose. Than to put it on i used my torque wrench to put it back on. But i got mine off someone i knew and they had a 99 cobra and didn't have all the spacers so i just drilled one of the ones he had out to fit and its worked great for 3 years. Oh and they were the bbk's