Steeda vs. BBK clutch cables???!!! need some help guys

kosmos

Dec 15, 2008
ok i have on my car right now a bbk clutch cable with the GRIP aluminum qaudrant they sent with the kit, *no firewall adjuster* Have to adjust under the car.

so my problem is i've had 2 bbk adjustable clutch cables go bad, the first warped close to the firewall and the cable started coming out through the end, the 2nd cable did the samething, so theirs a defect in these cables because i have a ram hdx clutch which isnt strong by no means and my cable isnt tight enough to stretch it like that,

so i have 2 questions, is the steeda cable better and will the steeda adjustable cable work with the grip quadrant that I already have installed?

• Sponsors (?)

Will a OEM cable work with a aluminum aftermarket qaudrant since i already have one?

also how do you adjust a oem cable vs. a aftermarket one thats called adjustable clutch cable?

Yes an OEM will work with a aftermarket quadrant. Look at Maximum Motorsports' kit.

You will have to get a firewall adjuster. Just go to MaximumMotorsports.com and look at their quadrant/firewall adjuster for an OEM cable.

The oem will NOT work with the GRIPP quadrant. I just replaced my quad 2 weeks ago with a gripp and the factory cable was too short. Caused the fork to press against the pres plate and clutch to slip. I have a Gripp quad with a Latemodelrestoration adjustable cable (its like 30 bucks). I have no complaints with it and I have a centerforce dual friction clutch.

I have yet to see a non OEM cable that doesn't have a stack of complaints behind it. IMO ditch the quadrant and pick up a Steeda or UPR unit for fairly cheap and grab a firewall adjuster. You'll lose a few bucks, but you won't be buying a new cable every few years.

Always buy OEM parts for clutch related items like cables, quadrants. If you need a firewall adjuster, you have a problem somewhere else. All the stick cars I've owned, I've never had clutch problems with OEM parts. I had a Centerforce PP fail on my 96 Cobra recently, but all other parts were reused and in good working condition.

I called brothers performance where i bought the cable from and they said they've had complaints against bbk's adjustable cable binding and coming out the sleeve on the firewall end, same problem i've had with 2 cables so far, they said the steeda cable hasnt had any complaints so far and the steeda cable will work with my grip qaud.

so im thinking of just buying a different brand adjustable cable most likely steeda, than all i gotta do is just adjust it under the car and pretty much easy install

Go ahead and buy the other cable. Then in a few months you'll be posting up again to say that it didn't work either.

Get a Steeda quadrant & cable adjuster, and a new OEM cable. You won't be dissapointed at all.

Go ahead and buy the other cable. Then in a few months you'll be posting up again to say that it didn't work either.

Get a Steeda quadrant & cable adjuster, and a new OEM cable. You won't be dissapointed at all.

I'll dissagree and say that the OP will be quite happy with the steeda cable and gripp quad. I know mine is SOOO much more precise than stock. I too had an issue 5 years ago with one bbk cable. They sent me a new one and it was golden till I got rid of the car. Still in there to my knowledge as well.

I think most issues with aftermarket cables and quadrants is that most people don't take the time to properly space the quadrant on the pedal assembly therefore causing it to bind and break over time.